Thursday, July 9, 2009

Update

I recently received bad news that I consider to be good. I had interviewed for a job a few weeks ago, and I got the rejection letter in yesterday's mail. My *ideal* is being a stay-at-home mom, at least while my kids are little, but I can work and would work if I need to. While I have seriously applied for work every week since October, I have only had one interview and little else that counts as serious interest in me, all of which I have taken as a sign that I'm not meant to be working in the near future. There's no need for me to comment on the state of the economy or the fact that my expertise isn't exactly in high demand in central North Carolina... suffice it to say that, under other circumstances, the fact that I am not in demand might make me feel a little less than confident about myself. I have chosen, however, to see this lack of opportunities as God's will, so it's not so much disapponting as it is something of a relief. I don't have to make a choice about working right now!

The interview came as something of a shock after such a dry spell, and I felt it was important to take the interview and the opportunity seriously, to look at how our lives would be different if I got the job, and to explore it all with an open mind. I did just that and lived with the uncertainty of the possibility for a few weeks. That's why this rejection is good news. I can close the door on this opportunity, knowing that I put my best foot forward when interview time came. I can also rest again in the feeling that the right opportunity has not come along, which means I can continue putting job feelers out, as I need to, while feeling the freedom to return my focus to being a mom when the time comes.

We also got news today that while not good is helpful. I'm becoming more stoic as this pregnancy progresses, because it seems like a lot of the factors that can complicate matters end up being an issue for me and I have figured out that my job is to just do what I can and let God take care of the rest. Talk about a lesson in letting go for the control freak in me... I can't control a great many things about this new life in me, so the more accepting I can be of the way things are, the better. The latest news is that I am in the 15-40% of strep B carriers. The baby could contract the bacteria from me during the birth process (about 50% of babies will) and could become very ill, suffer permanent disability or even die -- if active illness results. The odds of that happening are lower by far than the odds of picking up the bacteria, but it is one more thing to have to think about and another reason to hope that baby holds on for another couple of weeks, because the risks to a baby born before 37 weeks are increased 8-fold. What it means practically is that I will be given penicillin during labor, which itself is a trade-off. It should help reduce the risk of strep B infection, but it also may make the baby more susceptible to E-coli and other harmful organisms. Like I said, the news isn't good, but it is helpful, since I would rather have a positive culture and know what we are dealing with than a false negative, which happens often enough to be a bit scary. If I have a nice quick labor like some of the other females in our family, then the potential exposure time for the baby should be reduced, even if they don't manage to get me on the antibiotic IV 4 hours before I deliver, which is the ideal.

We've been working on getting the house cleaned up little by little, and last night we unpacked the carseat and got acquainted with its workings, since I figure that's one thing we won't want to be working out with a baby in arms. A lot of other things remain in boxes, and I suppose we will either unpack them slowly over the next few weeks before baby arrives, or we may wait (out of necessity born of a sooner-than-later trip to the hospital or choice) until he's here to unpack some of them. We're headed to the last of our regular childbirth classes tonight (we'll go to an optional extra session next Thursday on natural pain control techniques if we are able), and I should find out on Monday if the cramping and contracting I have been feeling this week has moved me any closer to active labor. We're also visiting our very scientifically-selected pediatrician's office (I asked a local mom in a Target restroom who has two kids - one with special needs - whom she recommended, and took her recommendation) this afternoon. I don't really have a backup plan for the pediatrician, so if we don't like the office, I suppose we'll have to go back to square one. I don't want to choose a physician based on a website or random web recommendations, and I don't really know anyone local with kids to ask, so we're going to wing it at first.

Daniel has been finishing up his dental work, so he was half-numb yesterday and is suffering from post-dentist jaw pain. He's doing a wonderful job of being supportive around the house anyway, so I am eternally grateful.

I guess that's it, aside from noting that I am back to sleeping much of the morning off and on because I am just wiped out. Because of my eating and testing schedule, I never have more than an hour and a half to sleep at a time once I get up in the morning, so I suppose I should consider this practice for catch-as-catch-can sleep that will, we hope, become the norm quite soon. Not that we wouldn't like to sleep through the night... we just look forward to this particular disruption. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness. You do make this an adventure. I was thinking I just got pregnant, had the child and then tried to figure out what to do with her.

But on really thinking about this, I know I did have lots of anxious thoughts. Without the opportunity to expand my knowledge on the internet. As my days to be delivered with you approached, I kept wondering how is this kid getting out. It did not matter that millions of women had given birth before me. Millions of samll women, too. It was me and that baby inside ME and no matter how much I read, I still thought that this just can't work.

But what I remember with you was after you were born how much I called my friend who was a pediatric nurse and asked her if you were okay. You know this mom thing just goes on and on and on.

And I would not change it!

Susan in PA said...

And it's different for each child. Even for your No.1, No.2, etc. Ian, hang in there.

Jen said...

Hey, Nikki.
Sorry you're having complications!

Have you looked into the possibility of getting the antibiotics via heplock instead of IV?

I know that option exists in at least some So Cal hospitals and it frees you up from having to be literally tied to a tube and pole while you are trying to labor comfortably and effectively (e.g., move around and change positions often).

I know that B strep antibiotics can be successfully delivered through heplock during labor. It's just a matter of seeing if your caregivers are sharp and considerate enough to accommodate this option on your behalf.

Oh, and I assume the baby is head down since you didn't list that as a complication. That's good news! :o)

Jen said...

Oh, and congrats on being a stay-at-home mom! Yay! :o)

Nikki said...

Mom,

The person who taught our class last night is a no-nonsense Brooklyn-raised Irish woman who also runs post-partum feelings support groups at the hospital. She was great. She's been a nurse for ages (10 years in NICU) and has taught childbirth classes for 20 years and has 5 kids of her own. Anyway, she's told us outright that if we haven't bent the pages in our parenting books we are to send them back, we are not to head to the internet for answers to every question that comes to mind, and we are, instead, to focus on finding the team of a few people who will be our support network and resource. She managed to be both compassionate and firm, and she supplied her cell number with instructions to call anytime. I will probably at least look into the post-partum support group whether or not I am notably struggling, if for no other reason than having a presence like that in my life would probably be most helpful. One of her messages to us was, "In 20 years, I have never had a woman come back and tell me, 'I couldn't do it. Sorry... the baby is still in there.' It just hasn't happened and it is not going to happen. You will make it through this." :D

Susan,
I suppose once you have been through it a time or two there are fewer surprises, but I do understand that it's new every time.

Jen,
Ha. Well, I'm sorry too, I guess. It really does seem to be par for the course by now, although I would like to think that delivery itself could be uncomplicated!

Thanks for the heplock suggestion. that is not something I would have known to ask about. I'll try to make sure I ask my doctor on Monday, and failing that, when I am admitted.

I did ask one of the group doctors about chiropractic, and he biggest concern is that this area doesn't have many chiropractors (if any) well-trained in pregnancy, and my web search had confirmed the same. She also suggested that I am so far along at this point that it probably wouldn't help much. Fortunately, my weird hip pain seems to be gone. Right now, I'm trying to avoid anything that might help labor progress, so new experiences are a bit suspect unless there is some clear reason to explore them (such as a breech presentation might have provided).

Yes... the baby was indeed head-down and at -2 on Monday, so that much seems to be going well.

Thanks for the congrats. :)

Nikki

Susan in PA said...

Yay for head down (hope it's not face presentation). Yay for less hip pain. Yay for Jen's advice - she's experienced a lot of hard stuff.

Yay that that 2 1/2" (!!!) screw is out, a lot of swelling on my knee has vanished, and I only have a 2-stitch incision to show for it.

And yay that all my babbling is just a prayer for: Ian, hang in there until your lungs are ripe enough to handle the world.

Jen said...

Susan, thanks for the affirmation!

Nikki,
Bummer about not having a qualified chiropractor in your area!

I have to confess that I find the group doctor's opinion that it's too late to be very suspect. Sure it would be better to have started early, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be of great help anyway.

Like you I have had occasional doubts about the safety or effectiveness of chiropractic treatment. When it comes down to it, however, I think this latent suspicion is a result of the mainstream medical establishment's (probably unfounded) distrust of alternative medicine of any variety no matter how well documented.

I have come to believe that a suitably trained chiropractor worth their salt would know how to avoid triggering early labor or any other problem.

But if none exist near you, you are sadly out of luck!

Nikki said...

Jen,

To be fair to the doctor, I have my own misgivings about alternative medicine, largely because I don't know enough about any of it and while I like the concept and do read about alternative solutions (I was reading about strep b approaches in midwifery this morning), my pregnancy has been, out of necessity because of complications, so medicalized already, that I'm most comfortable continuing in the same vein and trying to place as much trust as I can in the medical team I selected. We looked for a holistic vet for our very sick cat when traditional veterinary medicine wasn't finding what was wrong with her, but I haven't pursued the same for myself.

The doctor (who isn't my primary) wasn't negative about chiropractic per se in the office, it was more a matter of recognizing that I *could* go into active labor at any point, so either traveling out of area (alone, since Dan has limited time off and no paternity leave) to find someone qualified or going to someone who is not properly trained locally would possibly be more harmful than helpful at this point in pregnancy. Since I had turned up nothing in my search for an appropriate provider, I accepted that as wise counsel.

Also, as it is, I have trouble trusting my providers, and I am not the sort of person to allow anything to go unquestioned, but that fact makes my anxiety very high, which will not help come labor time. I am trying to balance trusting the expertise of the people I have chosen to care for me with my natural desire to investigate and question everything. At some point, I feel like the healthy thing for me is to simply make choices and try to be peaceful about them. I may be wrong, but I feel I have to draw a line somewhere! I'm not sure if that makes sense to you... but I'm trying to do it for my own sanity. :)

Jen said...

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Nikki.

I know you always put careful thought into your decisions and agree that your current decision to not see an untrained (i.e., not certified for treating pregnant women) or far-flung chiropractor is very wise.

I did not intend to criticize your judgment in my last comment, just to empathize with your misgivings (which, as I mentioned, I have often shared) and to put in a good word for alternative medicine in general even though it's not an option for you in this particular situation.

I'm sorry if I came off as critical of you or your ability to make informed choices! I didn't mean to put you on the defensive. I feel comfortable sharing insights and perspectives with you because I know you like to consider a wide-range of information and make careful decisions. :o)

Susan in PA said...

Delivery ......... as many opinions as translations of the Bible. When all these conflicting opinions came up on my first baby, I wished that my great-grandmother was still alive. She was the local midwife and had a hand in my mother's birth.

As for the impending event, you do have Daniel's arm sufficiently twisted for him to post it on the blog after he's called parents, sisters, brothers, and church friends? Some of us don't have your number, and neither do you want a ringing phone waking Ian up. :) (Better than a big brother poking the new sister in the fontanel. Smile, Thomas. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D )

Nikki said...

Jen,

No need to apologize... I was having a day of misgivings and frustration yesterday (thanks, hormones) and was more sensitive than necessary. If anything, your comments helped me think it all through again so that in the end I was more comfortable with the choices we have made and feeling less frustrated at being at the mercy of circumstance. I asked Dan about it after I commented, and he said his take on what the doctor had said about chiropractic was actually positive in general, so it's my fault for not expressing that clearly at the start. I know the sort of mistrust you speak of among traditional medical folk, as I have seen it before.

In times like this I realize we aren't in So. Cal. anymore, since resources here are decidedly more limited, but I think I have been blessed with excellent providers. As Dan put it to me when I was lamenting not finding various other local resources (like responsive doulas and pregnancy chiropractors), "You can look our situation here as a blessing in that you have fewer choices to make." That it can be a blessing is right, since I over-think everything and second guess my own choices a lot; not having a choice means not having to think once I realize that something is out of reach!

In other words... I'm sorry. I think you got inadvertently tangled up in some of my anxiety and frustration. It wasn't personal!

Susan,

I know Dan has compiled a list of people to contact and things to do once the baby arrives, and I am sure the blog will be updated as part of that process. I'm not sure, though, if that will happen right away. I think a lot will depend on how smoothly and quickly delivery goes. I'll be sure to mention to him that you've put in a request!