Monday, July 27, 2009

The more things change...

...the more they stay the same.

So, the doctor says, giggling through much of the appointment, that I am at 3-4cm "I can see someone calling it 4cm" and 80% effaced. I think he was giggling during the appointment because I keep coming back to see him in the office instead of just showing up at the hospital in labor like I am apparently supposed to. It's that pesky "in labor" part that is the hang up. It's not for lack of trying. In fact, when he checked me out, I harbored the secret hope that he'd find I was at 5-6cm and would just send us to the hospital. Not that I thought he would, mind you... but a girl can dream.

OBs use something called the "Bishop score" to rate the likely success of labor induction, and the higher the score, the less likely a conversion to a c-section because of failure to progress through labor (keeping in mind that a c-section may still be needed for other reasons). Well, he says, again laughing, as he prepares to leave the room: "You have a very favorable Bishop's score. In fact, it is about as high as it can get for a first-time mom." As Daniel remarked to me on the way to the car, "you always were a high achiever." Yes, that's me... going for the good scores!

They don't ask my name at the front desk anymore. Instead, they just ask who I am seeing today. Mondays are my usual appointment days, but I have been given an extra Friday appointment this week just to see if "anything has changed" before I show up before sunrise next Monday. Before we left, we ironed out a few of my concerns about the induction scenario (like making sure that it is in the written orders I have to take to the hospital with me that I am to start antibiotics 1 hour before they start with the actual induction), so that is comforting.

Many women have an elaborate "birth plan" outlining everything that they want/don't want from the birth experience. It includes important things, usually, like pain relief preferences, and may extend to details like how bright the lights are in the birthing room and what sort of music they want playing while they manage their contractions. I have decided that my birth plan is going to be one sentence (we were encouraged to make our plans clear and succinct): "Talk to us before you do anything to me or the baby, unless one of our lives depends on immediate action, and if I'm not able to make decisions for some reason, please have the discussion with my husband." There's plenty of control-freakishness in the spirit of this plan, yes... but this is from the same person who programs trips down to the hour and minute and writes three pages of instructions for the pet sitters when "please make sure the cats are fed, healthy, and have a reasonably clean litterbox" would probably suffice, so I am feeling like this is a big step for me. The last three weeks have been a rather pointed reminder that I am not in control of when or how this baby comes, but to the extent that I can make choices once at the hospital, I do want to be given the opportunity.

That's it for now. And with that... back to my book while I have the luxury of reading!

3 comments:

Susan in PA said...

OK, Ian, you can stop 'hanging in there' and get going NOW!

Anonymous said...

Glad to have the update. I have items to pack on the dining table and the suitcase beside it. I finished the pregnancy care clinic baby quilts, delivered them and straightened up the guest room that doubles as a sewing room. My goodness - sounds like I am about to go into labor!

I understand the three page pet care instructions. I like to keep things brief but there are so many things to tell the sitter to make sure everything is done right (translation - my way).

I actually posted on my blog :). You may visit it and leave a word of encouragement. Unless, of course, you have found something of a more immanent nature to do.

Nicoolmama said...

Good luck Nikki!! Can't wait to see pictures of your little guy...