Thursday, June 4, 2009

By the Numbers

I have found for most of my life that if I work hard enough at something I want to accomplish, I can usually eventually achieve it. Of course, it helps that I generally set my sights on attainable feats. I find few things as annoying as circumstances that are theoretically under my control and at the same time not at all under my control.

Nikki, meet your endocrine system.
Nikki, meet your match.

So, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes about two weeks ago now. I had one week to stew in my juices before I received dietary instructions, and then the day after I received them, we were off to spend time with Daniel's family for the memorial service for his dad. (About that... I have pictures that I intend to post and things to say about the trip, but I am not well organized on that front yet, so it will have to be saved for another time.)

The trip was great and I am very glad I went, but it made it nearly impossible to accomplish the blood glucose goals I had been given, in spite of what Daniel would probably call heroic measures on my part to try to follow the instructions to the letter, even though I had little control over my schedule, my location and everything else I had to try to work around. Just to give you an idea of how exacting the instructions are, I have to eat 6 evenly-spaced times (3 meals/3 snacks, snacks are marginally smaller meals, really) with specific carbohydrate counts (adjusted for fiber, of course) approximately every 3 hours. I also have to test my glucose one hour after meals and when I get up in the morning, for a total of 4 required tests per day. As you might imagine, some of my snack or meal times came when I couldn't possibly eat -- I was in a service or on the road in the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, or delayed deplaning because they forgot how to park it properly (no joke) -- in spite of my best planning. Daniel's family was extremely understanding and supportive, but there were limits to what I could manage, even with lots of help.

When I got home and reviewed my chart, it was clear: by the numbers, I had failed.

Okay, so when my numbers looked bad enough that the doctor started talking medicine when I got back on Monday, I was bummed, but I felt I had done my best. We discussed the fact that I was losing weight (not a great thing in the third trimester, as you might imagine) and that I just felt undernourished and was spilling ketones, meaning my body has been cannibalizing itself to get energy. Rather than sending me to get my pills, he gave me a week's reprieve. I was to add some calories somehow and do whatever other tweaking I needed to do, and then come back in a week to show him my numbers, with the proviso that medication seems imminent either way.

On Tuesday I talked to my nurse/dietitian and got her suggestions for where to add the calories. The plan was to add protein all day long and to add carbs to lunch and dinner. Yesterday I got to try the new plan out (plus exercise), and I finally got good numbers ALL day long. I was so happy!

This morning, I woke up and had good fasting glucose levels. I was really happy! Then I had breakfast - the SAME breakfast that has produced good breakfast numbers 3 times in the past, and when I tested after breakfast, my glucose was too high - and not just by a few points!

Gaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

What's at stake here is medication or diet alone, and, as you might imagine, I think diet alone is a much better way to go when there is a developing baby to consider. The sobering part is that my body may simply be uncooperative such that I have to have medication to make the diet work.

I felt my eyes tearing up a bit when I saw that number on the meter screen, but then I decided to look around online for anything that might give me some clue about why my numbers were so bad under what should have been conditions controlled for success, so that if there is anything I can do to keep it from happening again, I will know what it is. What I find is this:

"The truth about Diabetes is that some days 1+1=2. Other days, 1+1=43. It's best to just be prepared for the unexpected."

You mean I am not in control? No. Not really. The hormones secreted by the placenta, my stress levels, my activity... they are to some degree, but I can only plead with them to behave. I can't control them.

So, I did what I could. I packed up my carefully measured snack (the food scale is my friend these days...), a book, my meter and some water, and I headed over to the Arboretum for a walk, followed by some scheduled reading, eating and relaxation.

Why? I may have met my match, but I intend to keep on fighting the only ways I know how! Perhaps, just perhaps, I can at least make 1+1=3, and squeak by under the limits.

4 comments:

Susan in PA said...

1. Is your medical team discussing oral medications or insulin injections? Back in the day (when my kids were babes) it was diet or injection, nothing between.

2. Fingersticks still don't feel good, even after 14 years and dial-a-'comfort' lancing devices, and I found forearm sticks left bruises on me :P. Washing dishes seems to toughen up the fingers.

3. Given that Bob takes 2 blood glucose medications and still does not understand the necessity of controlling carb intake, you see what I face (carbs all over the house). KUDOS TO DANIEL. The Dad job begins before birth.

Nikki said...

Hi Susan,

My OB office tends to use glyburide. My guess is that it is at least in part because of increased compliance with oral agents over injections. The reading I have done on the medication shows that of the Sulfonylureas, it is probably the safest choice, and there is a trend towards using it over insulin in some practices the last few years. It does have some risks -- severe, prolonged hypoglycemia in the neonate, among them -- and there is a potential interaction with a medication I am currently taking for heartburn, but I plan to discuss those things with the doctor if he decides to prescribe.

2. Yeah - I asked about that. My device has the capability of doing alternate site testing, but finger sticks it is for me, because of the increased plasma in alternate sites (which can apparently yield different numbers). I figure it could be worse, so I am just resigned to that. Actually, that hasn't been too bad so far. I find the unpredictability of the results FAR more annoying than the mechanics of getting said results.

3. To be fair, we still have carbs all over, too, and I even gave Daniel a quarter so he could buy a sour candy out of a machine when we went to walk at the mall when rains were torrential outdoors. (Candy I obviously can't eat). I've pretty much just developed my own food supply, and when I am eating something weird for dinner, which we eat together, (lean unpreserved turkey hot dogs on super whole-grain rolls or whatnot), I let Daniel know that he can swap in something more appetizing to him (the same hot dog on a regular bun, for instance) if we have it in the house. It's a compromise. I can buy the fancy foods I want that make my diet restrictions more bearable, and he doesn't have to eat the same stuff I do if he doesn't want to, though I do try to make dinner palatable for us both. :D

Susan in PA said...

Bob takes glyburide and metformin. I've got a Januvia-metformin combo called Janumet.

I think the sulfonlyureas are among, if not THE, oldest oral agents going, and therefore have a track record. In diabetes management class I was taught that they tend to induce severe hypoglycemia in the taker.... hence Bob becoming grouchy and demanding that dinner isn't on at 5pm versus just get the orange juice, you big grouch. :( So if you get that the diet wil be ultra-important.

As it was, Rachel was born (8 am on a Sunday morning) with a blood sugar of 29 plus being 9# 1oz. Fortunately a newborn does not know that blood sugar below 29 is supposed to make one pass out and she nursed healthily. When they plopped an 8oz glass of orange juice on my breakfast tray, I asked, "Are you sure it's ok for me to have THIS?" :D

Susan in PA said...

Oops, I meant blood sugar below 60 (SIXTY) makes adults pass out. As for Rachel, they gave her a 3 oz. bottle of glucose water after her first breast-feeding. She guzzled that down, then howled for Mommy. :) She was leveled out by late afternoon.