Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Teenage Angst

I was killing time on the New York Times website today when I came across an editorial collection discussing whether or not prom should be abolished, given that it has become an evening of excess of just about every sort for hormone-driven teenagers who have not fully developed the capacity for good judgment yet. I'm not criticizing them for it... it's just true that the brain doesn't mature until about the age of 26!

Well, I'm one of the abstainers who didn't go to prom when my day came. As I remember it, in the days leading up to the prom, one young man who was a friend of mine asked me to go as his date. I remember feeling terribly uncomfortable with the whole idea, in part because my parents, possibly in the spirit of the "you can date when you are 35" exaggerated rules they repeated ad nauseam, had said that if a nice young man from Whittier Christian invited me to his senior banquet, then I might be able to consider going... but a prom at my public school? No way, Jose! In fact, just as I managed a date or three before I was 35, when it comes right down to it, my parents may have let me go.

In the end, it wasn't up to them. I declined, and not for the superficial reasons most people probably assumed. My would-be date had what might be called a weight problem; that I could get over, even though I had yet to develop one myself. What I couldn't get over was his volatile temper. I had visions of being in some fabled prom-night situation I didn't want to be in with a date who had a tendency to become explosively angry when crossed. Suddenly the prospect of staying home seemed more appealing than any princess dress, wilted corsage, crowded limo and gaudy hairdo.

My fate was sealed after talking to my mom about the refusal. Mom made a case for putting the feelings of others above my own convenience, which, in this situation, meant that if I had already broken one heart, I didn't need to pour salt in the wound by accepting another. While I am not sure if that is a realistic value to cling to in the real post-high school world, it had its merits in that moment. You see, most of the guys who found me attractive had serious problems, and the upshot of accepting that premise was that I was safe at home while my classmates were up to all manner of nonsense. I simply made it clear that I didn't plan to attend and avoided any need for further refusals.

My, oh, my... yes, there were some doozies among my high school admirers. On the short list of other potential prom dates were the nearly toothless and positively reeking skinny kid who lived in a flea motel and could be found urinating on the railroad tracks in broad daylight, and there was the dark-haired awkward guy who had trouble stringing words together sufficient to communicate is intention to kill himself if I didn't reconsider returning his regard. I suppose I should feel fortunate to have been found desirable at all in that most awkward of barely post-braces life phases, but when the ones who liked me were the broken and the outcast, there sure was a lot of pressure and not a lot of promise. I was not about to take more responsibility for the continued life of the one, and my compassion was not deep enough to overlook the abject poverty and lack of social graces of the other.

There you have it. No prom for me.

I don't regret it for a second. I never have. My only potential prom-related regrets were that the dreamboat dates I would have liked to have snagged had their sites trained on other heights... but that is another story altogether.

Do I think prom should be abolished? Sure. It would have spared me having to refuse my friend and would have saved plenty of my high school acquantainces the indignity of those old early-90s prom photos with dates they would rather forget... not to mention lots of money.

Far from thinking abolishing prom is a bad idea, I would suggest that stopping with prom would be a mistake. Why not abolish high school? For that matter, why not abolish the years between the onset of puberty and the development of the frontal lobes entirely? That, my friends, would save us all a host of indignities!

Perhaps I am just jaded by my lack of prom memories. Perhaps it is all sour grapes for me. I don't know. I'm willing to entertain the idea that I just don't know the magic I missed.

I do know that I finally got my princess dress at my wedding, and eventually snagged my dreamboat and danced with him and carried a huge bouquet and ate dinner surrounded by people I actually liked! Only that party wasn't about vying to be king and queen of fickle teenage popularity: we were the ones with the crowns for the day - no questions asked!

Interestingly enough, this happened the year after my frontal lobes should have peaked, so you might call it one of my first exercises of my full capacity for judgment. I can't help but think, however, that at least some of the right synapses got firing around prom-time after all.

Yeah... you can have prom if you want it. I'll take a good book in my hair-band-poster-plastered disaster area of a bedroom and any other escape you may want to offer me from the foolishness that is teenage life. And for those of you still waiting for those lobes to come ripe... I wish you all the best, and I don't envy you a jot!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose you would have had permission to go. But I preferred to have you home reading a book. My sister and I were speaking yesterday how we are both hermits, and I guess I project that on to those near and dear as the best way to spend free time.

Susan in PA said...

My mom made a point of telling my sisters and I that she survived without prom. I did too, for that matter. The guy I had a crush on wasn't interested in me, and the social outcasts were.

Angie said...

I also never went to prom. I had a boyfriend who was a senior when I was a junior (the dating age apparently got a little bit lower by the time I was in high school). His dad had a bad prom experience and therefore he considered it undesirable to even attempt to go himself.

In the long run I saved money and really don't feel like I missed out on much. My senior year came and went and I didn't really care whether or not I went. Yes, we survived without it, and so will others after us.

Angie said...

Have to comment again because the word verification showing right now is "latemess". How did it know I was looking at the screen?

Grumpy Old Man said...

Nikki, beautifully written post.

I never went to a prom (I went to a boy's school and didn't know any girls), but I'm not certain I agree with you. It's a ritual, and rituals have their place, especially where growing up is concerned. My formerly asocial daughter is going with a bunch of her friends, who are sleeping over at our house--no rest for Dad on Saturday night--suddenly a social butterfly!

Prom or no prom, there are plenty of opportunities for adolescents (and adults, that matter) to indulge in folly.

The important thing, though, is, you have found your love ("More I cannot wish you," as the song goes).

Best wishes on the upcoming birth!

Jen said...

I agree with GOM about the ritual thing and folly finding a way out in any circumstances that present themselves.

Also, I think teenagers are great and are wrongly given a bad rap. Having worked with lots of teenagers, I have to say that I think the teen years are an especially beautiful time of life (for those who have not been ruined by their parents or circumstances).

Nikki said...

Thanks all for the thoughts.

Jen,
Lest there is any worry about it, I wouldn't have you think that I think teens are a problem... I worked with them (difficult ones, at that) enough to appreciate them, too. :) If anything, I was thinking of how hard those years were for me. They were so awkward, confusing and uncomfortable, especially when I made the transition to public school, that I tend not to have any romantic ideals left about that phase of life - even prom didn't seem like a dream, it was a liability to my teenage mind.

I would agree that teens often get a bad rap they don't deserve, but I would also suggest that a lot of parents don't provide the guidance or boundaries that their kids need, so sometimes it is likely the parents who deserve the censure if anyone does. Sadly, I hung out with some really messed up teens in high school in my effort to find my clique, including several kids with pretty much no parenting influence in their lives, and it was really sad to see... even then.

I guess I would say that they are potentially wonderful years... but my experience was more mixed, so I am a bit jaded. :)