Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hooray for High Risk!

Well... not really, but I have landed back in that category again with today's diagnosis: yep, I have gestational diabetes. Apparently I failed the oral glucose tolerance test "spectacularly" and my numbers were "off the charts". I don't know how far off the charts until I pick up a copy of my medical records tomorrow... I requested them so that I can take them with me when we travel.

What all of this means for me personally remains to be seen, but I will have an instructional class next week at which I will get a meter, etc. I suppose I shall have to wing it in the meantime.

*sigh*

6 comments:

Susan in PA said...

Welcome to the land of No Desserts. :P

Nikki said...

As it happens, I don't eat them often anyway. :)

Susan in PA said...

That deserves a :D. More than one.

Jen said...

Bummer!

Nikki said...

Hi Jen!

Yeah, I was bummed that first day. Now I am just getting impatient to have instructions! I realize that there are plenty of less manageable and more serious complications that can arise in pregnancy. The worst of mine cleared up before it became genuinely dangerous (placenta previa). So, when it comes right down to it, I'm grateful to have something that we can most likely control. :)

Susan in PA said...

Since I wasn't prescribed any medication, I had eat a stricter diet than my father, who used insulin. Or even a stricter diet than I do eat now... or should be. :) As long as Dan is interested in keeping himself fit, I don't see that much of a hardship for you. As you said, it's a more manageable complication.