Sunday, May 24, 2009

Multi-Grain Dinner Rolls

Well, we are now in the situation in which Nikki needs to keep track of all the components of her diet, primarily carbs, fat, sodium and glycemic index. This is going to be much more difficult for me to get my head around; Nikki has kept track of nutritional information off-and-on for several years. Tonight I tried my hand at a low-glycemic, high-fiber batch of dinner rolls. Here's the recipe I came up with:

Daniel’s Multi-Grain Dinner Rolls

Makes approximately a dozen rolls

¾ cup warm water
1 packet yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
½ cup unbleached flour
½ cup rye flour
1 cup spelt flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 egg, beaten

Mix the water, yeast, sugar and unbleached flour. Let this mixture sit in a warm environment for about 20 minutes, until it becomes light and frothy. (This is the proofing sponge.) Add the remaining ingredients and mix well, then knead for ten minutes or so. Let rise for about an hour. Split dough into twelve equal parts, then split each of those parts into three. Roll each part into a little ball, and place three balls side-by-side into each cavity of a muffin pan. Let rise for at least another 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400° F, and bake for 15 minutes.

Approximate nutrition information per roll:
140 calories
3.6 g fat
87 mg cholesterol
220 mg sodium
19 g total carbohydrate
2.5 g dietary fiber
1.1 g sugars
5.8 g protein

6 comments:

Nikki said...

Thanks so much for making the rolls. They seem to have hit the spot for me this evening with my soup and with all of the whole grains I know they are wholesome. Thanks also for blogging on your own initiative - I get boring left to write all by myself. Love you! :)

Angie said...

A new recipe! I'll have to keep this in mind for next time I am in a baking mood.

Susan in PA said...

I'm jealous. I can't get sugary cakes, ice cream, candy, potato chips et al. out of the house because his majesty believes it is his prerogative to have them up to sundown on the eve of fasting days. The girls want whole grain breads, and finding them without dairy, egg, or oil is near impossible.

This is PRECISELY why Nikki should get through this pregnancy easier than I did with Rachel. (Though I was 35 through most of my pregnancy with Rachel, and I do believe Nikki's younger. Youth 'helps'.)

Nikki said...

Hi Susan,

We still have stuff in the house I can't eat, but I have to say that Dan has been really good about being supportive in a variety of ways. It's all guesswork now anyway, as I still haven't had an opportunity to get instruction, which is driving me nuts. As for the age, I'm all of a year younger than you were... I'm not sure if that counts as "youth". ;)

Susan in PA said...

When you hit 35, all those oh-my-gosh, Down syndrome, chromosome abnormality, do you have the strength to push a baby out at your age DOCTOR'S anxieties hit, and make yours look like small potatoes. A mother over 35 is "elderly". :P

I turned 36 3 months before Rachel was born. She was born in the normal manner. But considering the complication list, anyone would have felt justified in betting on a repeat C-section. :)
1. over 35
2. previous birth over 4000 g (Thanks Thomas)
3. previous c-section (thanks Thomas)
4. previous mal-position (breech, thanks Thomas)
5. gestational diabetes (a little from each, but worse now)
6. face presentation, aka sunny-side-up (thanks Rachel)
Woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

We'll have to try it. Looks like you are jumping into this special diet for your family with both feet, Dan.