Monday, February 23, 2009

Thank God for Little Things...

...especially the first gentle pokes of tiny little person.

Baby J quickened today (at 16 weeks, 1 day), as I was reading in bed on my side after a nap. Since (s)he did so about an hour and a half before a visit to the OB, the doctor confirmed from my description that what I think I felt probably was baby. We also got reassurance, thanks to fetal doppler, that Baby J's heart is still thumping along at a nice clip. I had prayed for an earlier-than-later quickening so that I would have that periodic reassurance, and it would seem my prayer has been answered. Apparently most moms whose wombs have not been stretched by previous births often don't feel anything until 20-22 weeks, so I feel very fortunate indeed. We're very much looking forward to seeing baby J again via ultrasound in about 3 weeks. Perhaps we will find out at that point which personal pronoun applies. :D

3 comments:

Susan in PA said...

Maybe baby J is big for his/her age. :D

Nikki said...

Could be. Could be. As of the last scan s/he was right on track size-wise. My sister apparently felt her first at 16-17 weeks as well. Perhaps we just have sensitive uterine walls. :)

L.L. Barkat said...

oh, oh, oh! how i loved those first tremulous movements that said life, life. precious that you are feeling them.