Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Do I really need a yarn octopus?

I have bought in to Google's plan for ultimate world domination and use my personalized Google page as my homepage when I get online. In addition to having several blogs of favorite folks RSS fed so that I can see at a glance when there is something new there, I also, for some inscrutable reason, probably having more to do with Google presets than my preferences, have a little box for the WikiHow How-to of the day. This interesting box has 2 links in it to articles written by who-knows-who on the most fascinatingly bizarre topics. This conglomeration of amateur writers tackles everything from social graces to crafts to scientific devices.

Almost every day I fritter away a few moments reading the sometimes helpful, sometimes hilarious tutorials. Further, I confess that I have begun to contribute anonymously once in a while to the articles that pop up in my window. My contributions are quite predictable... I usually swoop in and correct grammatical faux pas and adjust punctuation, even in articles that are completely ridiculous from word one, like this one: "How to Make a Yarn Octopus."

Today, I clicked on that link and skimmed the page rather quickly, deciding that, for one thing, I prefer the sort of octopi with Styrofoam ball heads, and for another... what's that in the "Warnings" section?!

Before starting ask yourself "Do I really need a yarn octopus?". Of course you could always think of a use for it afterwards or give it to someone.

I stopped and, suppressing more than the urge to correct the rather atrocious abuse of English that was staring me in the face, I decided that buried in this trivial list -- of use to some, surely, but not otherwise enriching human experience by its existence -- was a tidbit of sagacity completely worth my notice. I'm not sure, given the collaborative nature of this project, whether the sage was Maverick 97, Sondra C, Knu94, Krystle, $ternhe, Dvortygirl, Jack H, Booky, Anonymous, C#Freak, Ally F, DeFender1031, Martyn P, or Zack, but someone hit on a rather important fact: before making a yarn octopus, wouldn't we do well to ask if we really need it?

Fortunately, the yarn was still safely in the closet when I reached my very personal decision about this. No. I do not really need a yarn octopus. My life does not depend on it... (Can you imagine the ransom note demanding "$3000 in gift cards to Michael's and a yarn octopus made from Berroco alpaca yarn in beet root -- don't skimp with me and use Lion Brand or the goldfish gets it!"?) No matter how fun it would be to think of a use for it "afterwards" (attaching it to the end of a mop handle and using it to clean the ceiling fan comes to mind as a real possibility) and no matter how gracious the recipient of my generous homemade gift might be (who has a birthday coming up?), I do not really need a yarn octopus. Then again, I don't need much besides food, air, shelter, love and God's grace -- and what fun would life be without some of the things we'd be hard-pressed to argue that we really need?

So, knock yourself out -- make a yarn octopus even though you don't really need it. I just might. Later. When I have time and energy and yarn to kill.

May I suggest, however, the actual Berroco pattern? If you are going to do it, please do it right.

5 comments:

Angie said...

I saw that article. A co-worker shared it. I didn't read it closely, but I likewise prefer the styrofoam head rendition - it's a classic!

My personal favorite was the section on making an alien octopus. Another co-worker commented on how the warnings seem to imply that only children can be injured by scissors.

Anonymous said...

I remember when yarn octopi were the thing. Although there is a lot of nostalgia in some of the crafty items from the past, it is nice when some things stay in the past.

But how do you get to the stie of which you write?

Susan in PA said...

A yarn doll: (variation on octopus) Set aside enough yarn to make a braid an inch wide and a foot long. After forming the head, tie the yarn again another 2" down, then make 2 braids of the remainder. Pass one end of the separate braid (arms) thru the tied-off section (body) so an equal amount sticks out each sides. Dress if desired.

I have one of these dolls from the time I was finishing high school, just to remind me of the times life wasn't so demanding. Anne kept trying to throw it away when we were moving. XP

But no, one doesn't need a lot of them for decorations, and I haven't made one since.

Nikki said...

Mom - the words "Berroco Pattern" are a link going to the octopus pattern on the Berroco site. WikiHow is at http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page. There's also an embedded link to the article in the post. I'm not sure which website you were asking about, so that should about cover it.

N

Mom J said...

I made a yarn octopus for my daughter when she was younger. I never really thought it meant that much to her. Now she's in college and tonight she called me to tell me she wanted to make one for her friend's little sister "so that she could have one to cuddle with".

So, do I really need a yarn octopus? I sure do!