Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Down but not Out

We've been rather busy lately. I have been a different sort of busy than Dan has, of course. I have been working a lot of hours, and I have been helping Daniel with his newest project. We'll call it, for the sake of drama, "Project Something to Eat in a Couple of Weeks"... really, all it amounts to is a bit (okay, a lot) of gardening.

As an aside, we've discovered that weather is a decidedly more interesting topic here than it ever was in California, in part because we get things like hail and tornado watches. We now understand the logic, (thanks, Dad, for pointing it out) behind talking about the weather. There wasn't much when the conversation was "clear and in the 80s again today." Ho hum. I like a little excitement.

Thankfully the weather and the garden are playing nicely together for now, so we hope our plants will grow nicely into fruit-and-veggie-bearing sources of fresh, lovely sustenance. Among other things, we have planted tomatoes, okra, eggplant, cucumbers, zucchini, crook-neck yellow squash, a plethora of sweet and hot peppers, arugula, about a dozen herbs and (my favorite, perhaps) blackberries. We have also discovered that one of the trees on our property has started putting out apples. We hope that we get to sample them before the birds have their fill.

As there was only one well-defined planting area in the yard, we have spent quite a lot of time choosing spots that will be least disruptive to the yard as it is now, digging up clay, putting in soil that plants can live with and lugging (okay, Dan does this part) the clay out across the bridge to the back 40 of our little corner of the planet. We both find that gardening soothes frayed nerves, which is a great thing, under present circumstances. We're each a bit more sore, and possibly a bit more content, than we had been before.

Dan still has no solid job leads or interviews, but he has 3 headhunters looking out for him, so if there is a job in the area to be had for him, they ought to be able to find it. In the meantime, when not gardening, Dan has been cleaning house, cooking, running errands and filling out paperwork -- lots of paperwork. Honestly, if we could live on my salary, I could get very used to having a househusband. For his part, Dan's the happiest I have seen him in a while, which is great. Unfortunately, our bills outstrip my earning capacity, so I will be happy to have a different sort of working husband when the time comes. Continued prayers on the job front would be much appreciated.

In other news, Dan and his band from college, Writ on Water, have put out some new material, and re-released some old material. Not only did Dan do some songwriting and play a variety of instruments on the recordings, but he also did quite a lot of the album art design. The things I learn about him almost six years in...! Where, exactly, was he hiding that particular talent? He didn't say anything about it... I just walked in to find him designing away. I'm not proud or anything... but please feel free to visit their website and store and buy plenty of Writ on Water swag. I'm sure the royalties will eventually buy us a soda at America's Drive-in Sonic, which we will try to thoroughly enjoy in spite of the fact that it is from Sonic because it was the only thing open late on a summer night, and for which we will thank you profusely. :D

For my part, I now, as the result of a rather funny but way-too-long-for-me-to-relate-here-and-now story, am one of the official anthem singers for the Carolina Railhawks professional soccer club. My debut is Friday night at the Women's team season opener. After that, I'll be on the regular rotation. What that means about performance frequency, I don't yet know. I auditioned this afternoon and got the "job" on the spot. My compensation for this, as with soooo many artistic endeavors, will not contribute to the bills-needing-paying cause. *sigh* It will, however, ensure that we get out some as long as there is a car to put gas in and gas in said car. I'll be able to bring Dan along to the games at which I sing to watch the game from "the box" and we are told we will find various things to eat and drink there. If the box is air conditioned, that will be worth way more than it seems at first glance come summer, believe me! It also gives me an opportunity to perform musically, which I confess I have missed. The Railhawks games are streamed on this website for a price, if you wish to hazard a watch. I am not sure, to be honest, whether or not the anthem is included in the broadcast, but you may see me there from time to time if you choose to shell out for the game package.

In short, we're not quite sure what the future holds. I understand that it's not really our job to know. I suppose the best we can do is hope, pray and wait... and sing and grow veggies. Life is good, even if there are things we could dare to hope for.

3 comments:

Susan in PA said...

The girls work part time 3 days a week at a stable about 8 miles from us. (Across the road from Rachel's homeschool supervisor.)

Too bad I can't send you some of what they shovel. The owner keeps a 5' mountain of it. I take home bagsfuls from the bottom, which are aged more than a year - free fertilizer. Lots of green onions so far.

Bob's planted an apple and plum tree, two blueberry bushes, strawberries, tomatoes, and snow peas. Their wimpy growth last year convinced him of the efficacy of aged manure. :)

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again. Interesting stuff!

Angie said...

Weather - up here it's still in the 50s during the day. It's raining somewhat regularly, so stuff is green, but it seems to be taking a long time this year to actually warm up. Maybe my memory just isn't that good!