Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ever had one of those years?

Just when I think we're settling in to life as "normal" without anything disastrous, something comes along to shake that up.

This time, it is unemployment. We got the news today that Dan has been laid off effective today. That was not exactly the "welcome home" we had expected after our trip to California, which I will probably write about when I am less jet-lagged (we got in at 1am) and over the initial shock of this particular bit of bad news.

He's the primary breadwinner and my job pays some of the additional bills, so we'd appreciate some prayers that Dan will find a good position quickly, since my salary, quite frankly, won't be sufficient to make our ends meet.

Just off the top of my head... January brought a miscarriage. February brought surgery and a fear of compromised fertility or worse. March brought death in the family, reorganization at work that I found very challenging, and the hospitalization of another loved one. April brought tax liability, the death of a coworker from cancer, a trip to the emergency vet and a lost job. To be fair, there have been some good things thrown in there, but let's just say I'm voting for some of the May flowers that are said to come of April showers, because so far 2008 is not living up to all of its rich promise. *sigh* This, too, shall pass.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Oh, that's rough :( You will be in my prayers!

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

We are so sorry to hear about Daniel's job! We will be praying that he quickly finds an even better job.

It was great to see you both. Let's do it again sometime ;).

Anonymous said...

Life. The good and the bad. I vote for the good. Praying for you!

Susan in PA said...

OUCH !!!
WORSE than the doc saying that my knee is too good to be replaced (but still hurts). (Expletives deleted.)

Does Dan do any freelance programming/ configuration/setup like Thomas does, in order to make contacts and make some money between interviews?

L.L. Barkat said...

Nikki, oh. My heart softens and aches at your words.

Thank you so much for your very beautiful letter. So much precious thought gone into it! I have sent off your book and hope you receive it soon. A small, small tenderness in hard times.

Love to you,
LL

Anonymous said...

It will pass. I promise.

Susan in PA said...

Do these blogs cost money? Of course the other explanation is that Nikki is working overtime (Prayer, Please!) to make ends meet.