Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Days

Memorial Day weekend has been absolutely gorgeous here. The skies have been clear blue and temperatures have been in the high 70s to low 80s. We have barbecued Friday and Saturday evenings -- enjoying eating out on the deck -- and we took a picnic to Umstead Park on Sunday. Umstead is a state park comprised of a lovely piece of wilderness less than 30 minutes from home. We walked a couple of miles of trails, and we enjoyed the unspoiled beauty of the place.

When we got to the river, we picked a shady spot by the ruins of the old mill dam, pulled out our books, and lounged around until early evening, stopping to dip our feet in the cool water before we undertook the walk back. I found myself distracted from my book by a spider who was prowling nearby, and the walk back to the car was graced by one of the most beautiful sights I have seen in a very long time -- a majestic blue heron flew the length of the river, soaring rapidly overhead as its wings glowed in the evening sun. It was a moment I couldn't have captured on film if I had been ready to do so. Daniel was standing next to me and missed it. There was such strength and precision in its movements that I felt it embodied the perfection of creation and the definition of freedom. It was such an intensely peaceful feeling, that I wished I could somehow transported everyone I love to be there for the moment.You may visit a more complete photo album here. It features some of the wildlife we encountered along the way (including a snake and a fascinating beetle, Dad).

We walked to the war memorial in town this evening to stand quietly by as the sun descended for the evening. It was quiet tonight. Just a single confederate soldier standing watch over a deserted square.

Sometimes you can find children climbing on the monument and playing in its shadow. Daniel remarked that he thought somehow that play and laughter of children is a fitting tribute to the fallen. He's certain they would love to know that life goes on and that the fighting they did for the sake of peace and freedom has brought just that feeling to the town that remembers them still. I would have to agree.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you always post such beautiful pictures. I love to see where you are, and what you are doing.

Anonymous said...

Pictures are great. Thanks for sharing the sentiments also. I am glad you are finding such treasure in your "not so new" home.

Susan in PA said...

I'm happy to see you just WALKED along the river. it appears to be the same size as the East branch of Brandywine Creek, which has a paved bike trail along it (former RR right-of -way).

Bob has tried to float the creek in an inflatable kayak 3 times, and twice I have been the victim, er, companion, in the attempts. I say this because there is only about 6 inches of water over the rocky rapid parts, and rafting becomes an exercise in poling one's nether ends off the cobbled bottom.

I had enough canoeing experience in Girl Scouts, but....my right shoulder has just recovered enough to lift it overhead. :) Never mind choosing put-ins and take-outs that I can navigate. :) :D

Also I request prayer for my sister Grace, who is in the hospital for knee problems worse than mine.

L.L. Barkat said...

Beautiful, beautiful place. I love creeks, as you probably have guessed. :)

And how lovely are you!

Susan in PA said...

What happened to the cat posting? I wanted my girls to post their condolences.

Nikki said...

Susan, the cat posting came down because the story became more sad as it unfolded. It turns out both cats belonged to the same neighbor, whom we have since befriended. I took it down because it was too sad for me to see it -- when I do, all I can think of is our neighbor digging up the kitty and sobbing over it, which is exactly what happened. :(