Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Holy Hail

Just a quick little post sharing more of the wonders of the world outside--this time, during a full-fledged tornado warning that encompassed our area. A tornado was actually spotted in the town where our aunt and uncle live, which is not far from here at all. I don't think it touched down.While these were falling, Dan remarked that "It sounds like we're inside a popcorn popper." It did a bit... perhaps it sounded even more like the push-toy I played with as a kid that made popping noises when I ran it over the carpet.
Monte hid, MooMoo napped, and Dan and I watched the weather coverage on the news and debated whether or not we should adjourn together to the bathroom (the only "interior" room available to us here). Keep in mind that I have rather large hands, and I had to wait until the storm had passed and the hail had melted a bit, so these were pretty impressive. I think all of our plants survived the onslaught. The people and animals in our house sure did. Honestly, it is a bit harrowing when it is happening, but I find the power of nature entrancing, too. I'm not quite cut out of storm chaser stock, and I hope to never experience a touched-down tornado, but some part of me loves living in a place that gets somewhat exciting. :)

5 comments:

Susan in PA said...

WOW. Larger than any I've ever experienced.

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Amazing! I have heard of destructive hail but never seen it in person. I, too, hope that your plants survived.

Angie said...

Definitely bigger hail than any I've seen!

We had some impressive thunder today...for about a minute. Thunderstorms are normal all summer, so I wish I had been home to see how the baby girl handles it. If the fact that she'll come in the bathroom and eat right next to me when I'm using the hair dryer and slept through the fire alarm going off in the apartment building across from me on Monday, I think she might be okay.

Anonymous said...

I miss weather. Eternal boring summer.

Childhood hail story: I was not supposed to go down to the river but I knew that was where the clay soil was. I had been there before and seen it. (As I child I walked all over town - got lost sometimes. But I never feared for my well being.)

I went to the river and got some clay. My mom's birthday or Mother's day or someting was coming up. On the way home it suddenly hailed hard and fast. I put the can I was carrying the clay in over my head and ran to the first front porch I could find. (Also something you could do in those days.) I waited out the storm and then continued home. I made a little recepticle maybe 2 inches round and an inch high, with a small home in the center. And I painted it blue with water color paint. Apparently it went over well. Mom kept it but I do not know what ultimately happened to it. It was still in her hutch in Whittier. And I did not get scolded for disobeying. I knew in myself that I had done so and that was punishment enough.

Anonymous said...

We had our hail yesterday. Lots of wind and thunder and lightening. :)

And today we also are having weather. Nice.