Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Turn about is fair play

Some months ago I wrote about how Daniel and I were taking dance lessons together. That was an exercise in Daniel trying to learn to do something that I already enjoy. Well, I figured it was my turn to invest myself in an activity Daniel already enjoys: ice skating.

I think I last ice skated when I was about 18. That would be, well, several years ago now. Even then, in my early youth, and when I still had some illusions of invincibility, my technique was flawless: I could grab walls, flail about and crash to the ground with the best of them. I have rather intense sense memories of the smell of the ice, the penetrating chill when I drew in a breath, the sting of ice-burned flesh and the unyielding, stinking, rented blue plastic skates, and no memory of anything like a comfortable glide. Back then, the figure in my skating was my still-slender and graceful teenage form. Now, the figure in my skating is a bit lumpy and awkward. I can hope the extra natural padding will make it a bit less life-threatening when I fall... repeatedly.

The local ice rink has public skating hours on Sunday afternoons, so we decided to go skating this past weekend. I prepared physically by throwing on layers of clothing, both for the padding and the warmth. I prepared mentally by adding my Hurricanes sweatshirt to the ensemble and vowing internally to let go of the dang wall at least a few times -- whatever the cost. I should have prepared spiritually by going to confession, but the time for that had passed, so I just whispered a quick prayer or two. Armed with gloves, a festive red scarf, my inhaler and as much chutzpah as I could muster, I hopped into the car.

Rental skates just ain't what they used to be... either that or this is a primo ice rink. Instead of stinking plastic, mine were made of stinking thick leather. Believe it or not, that simple fact made my day brighter. The first pair were way too big (my feet do not require their own zip codes) and the second pair were just about right, except that they felt a bit like an all-foot-encompassing vise grip and my feet started screaming bloody murder within about 3 minutes of touching blade to ice. Still, I was determined to get out there, and get out there I did.

It took me about 30 seconds to decide that the people who looked wobbly and awkward actually were wobbly and awkward, and my best bet was to look like I knew what I was doing. Perhaps this was my ice-skating-adaptation of the old adage that if you want to love someone, you should act like you already do, and you will find that you really do love them in the end. The funny part is that it worked. The more I focused on just being natural and copying the motion of the people who were at ease on the ice, the more fluidly I moved. I still had my moments of sheer panic when it was going so well that I made a bee-line for the wall because I was dead certain my luck wouldn't last. Daniel just smiled at me, took a lap or two while I rested between icy sprints, and took me by the hand. Somehow just holding his hand made the impossible (staying upright on the ice) seem attainable.

Finally, I made it all the way around the rink once without diving for the wall. Of course, I managed to fall just as I completed the circuit, but I found myself laughing, because as covered with ice-shavings and undignified as I was at that moment, I had reached a milestone. I had taken my first tumble and I had lived to tell the tale.

The downside of the experience was that my feet were so incredibly uncomfortable that I had to remove the skates to avoid tears. As long as the skates were on, the pain was inescapable and simply intolerable -- sitting or standing, it didn't matter. Daniel and I discussed the problem, and we talked to someone who knows a thing or two about skates. Together we decided that rental figure skates were a bad idea for me. They are made in only one width -- too narrow -- and they are molded to fit someone else's feet (or the feet of several someones by the time I got them). Since this is something I want to be able to do with Daniel, and rental skates would make it next to impossible for me, we decided to buy me some inexpensive hockey skates. Two shops and a receipt later, I am now the proud owner of spiffy cheap hockey skates that are wide enough for my feet! They still have something of a vise-grip quality, but they tell me that's just how it ought to be.

For the uninitiated, the padding in many hockey skates is made to soften some with intense heat and harden again when cooled. When you put skates on that have been subjected to that heat, the padding conforms somewhat to the contours of your feet and ankles, allowing for a more customized fit. Wearing baked skates provides a sensation quite unlike any I have ever experienced before, because I have never felt such intense, penetrating, pleasant heat on my feet in my life. I have decided that the next time my feet are cold, I am going to throw my skates in the oven. (Kidding. Kidding... but it is tempting).

As I sit and type, I have my skates on (with blade protectors, of course). I hope that by next time we skate (in two weeks, perhaps), I will have broken the skates in a little. Then I will make them show me what they can do.

I think my next purchase should be a helmet... and perhaps a life insurance policy.

4 comments:

Catherine, detached said...

Ah, this brings back memories of tottering around the ice on the outdoor rink behind Sun Valley (Idaho) Lodge, back in my follow-Brian-Boitano days. The one time each year that I allowed myself to try skating, since I knew that a good twisting fall could really mess up my back. But the only person who ever came along and took my hand while I was skating was ... Jamie Lee Curtis.

Anonymous said...

Okay - let's hear it for Wisconsin again! It was part of growing up - to ice skate. In the cold. Outside. The field used for school track events was prepared for the ice with a ring of dirt built up to accomodate the water that was pumped onto the field. There was a warming house - not warmed but did the trick when 50 kids piled into the 20 occupant limit building. But alas, I never was the graceful skater - not on ice. I did much better on roller skates and ,believe it or not, the roller skating season (skating on sidewalks was acceptable then) lasted longer than ice skating. Way to go Nikki!

Angie said...

Ice skating for me has always been time for some fellowship with the wall. I don't recall too many instances of blisters or foot pain, but perhaps that is merely my mind blocking unpleasant memories. Roller skating was more successful for me, but I always had balance issues with inline skates. Give me two rows of two, thanks. The problem with skating in the rink is that it is repetetive motion with stress being put on the same leg the whole time. I skated last summer and was surprised that I could still do it. I might wait a few more years before trying it again, however. Ice rinks, in my opinion, are great for broom ball, although if I want to walk on ice, I just need to go outside for a bit.

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Good for you two! Ice skating is such a fun winter sport. Congratulations on the skates, too. I am a big fan of ice skating. I have gone fewer than 10 times but I enjoy it each time. Jon and skated for my birthday 2 years ago. We briefly discussed it last winter, but the news of Talia made us think better of the idea. Hmmm? This might be a nice date idea for the next time Grandma and Grandpa T. ask us to babysit (that's right - they call every week and beg us to go out and leave Talia with them).