Monday, December 17, 2007

The Moral of the Story

I have been knitting again. Great piles of bargain yarn have collected in the living room, and I have spent a lamentable amount of time with hands clicking away, eyes glancing up periodically at a series of Christmas-themed movies, from nostalgic shows like the Waltons and Little House on the Prairie to Hallmark specials as vapid as the programmed messages on most greeting cards. After some reflection on the obvious, I have decided that there is a clear formula to these films. They must include:
1. Orphans and/or widows. Bonus points for including both.
2. Despair. Someone, anyone, must be reminded of the meaning of continued life through whatever it is that transpires, but they must begin with despair.
3. Miracles. The more obviously linked to the traditional Christmas story, the better. (Guiding stars, for instance, are perfect, but those involving Santa are a reasonable substitution.) And it's really best if people are left scratching their heads about how, exactly, hope has been restored.

Daniel and I went out to eat last night, and he remarked in the car on the way there that he wasn't even sure what had possessed me to watch that, well... I think he called it "crap." I had to laugh, but then I explained that I have been too antsy and agitated to just sit quietly with my own thoughts the last few days. I guess want my life to have a soundtrack that isn't my usual mental litany of quandaries, worries and obsessions. I joked with him about the deep message of these films, which he summed up, roughly, as: You must always (but especially at Christmas) keep someone around you who is more miserable than you are so you can be reminded that you are actually fortunate and have no reason to whine.

His tongue was planted firmly in his cheek, of course, but his assessment captures something essential: no matter the circumstances of your life, someone has it worse. Rejoice, therefore. Find your happiness, if you find it nowhere else, springing from the pity you feel for those ill-fated others. Surely if they can find hope and joy, you ought to as well. Wow. Is that what we've become?

I confess that I felt a tear well up in my eye when the two little WWII-orphaned children who had been mysteriously come to live on Walton Mountain one winter heard the voice of their presumed-dead mother from London over the short-wave radio on Christmas morning. I mean, I am not callous enough to be untouched by that sort of joyful twist, but I couldn't help feel a bit manipulated as well. The fact is, I can usually find enough pain and suffering in my own past to make this moment a reason to celebrate... I don't require the pity-inducing services of sundry symbolic orphans and widows, though I would do quite well to remember the very real suffering others endure in the very real world where crises are not permanently and neatly resolved in 120 minutes, give or take a few commercial breaks.

Real joy and peace and hope aren't about sentimentality. Real joy and peace and hope have a whole lot more to overcome in the circumstances of a broken world. They, like my pile of knitting, require a certain persistence and a willingness to get tangled up in the details.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose, too, that the familiarity of some of these movies set the mood also. I had noted the Hallmark movies on the whole have same plot. Just vary the theme and situation a bit. And the older and more sentimental, the more we tend to like these Christmas movies even if they are not deep. They still may give us pause. I have not watched any this year. Maybe I should.

Susan in PA said...

Hey, Daniel, they're still better than most of the 'sax and violins' (say it with a cockney accent :) ) than what passes for entertainment on TV nowdays. It's hard to read Scripture and knit at the same time.

Also, somedays I wonder if God's purpose for my life is to be the person about whom my friends can say, 'How does she keep going?' After all, it's not every day that someone kisses the rear end of a slow moving dump truck on I-40 and lives.

(Doesn't I-40 go thru Raleigh and the east-west length of NC?)

Back to a more positive note, my 104-year-old great-great aunt knits mittens for charity. Her eyes aren't up to reading Scripture anymore, but she can still knit using more touch than sight.

Susan in PA said...

PS Thomas arrives here tomorrow.

L.L. Barkat said...

I like how you manage to communicate the complexity of life in the brevity of a blog post.

Really, sometimes this medium tempts me to solve things too quickly in my entries. Readers aren't here for whole books.

Anyway, I like how you get past sentimentality even with the short space as a constraint.

And I love, loved your comment over on Seedlings under the Christmas post. Sometimes I just catch my breath when I read what you say. So glad I am getting to know you.

Nikki said...

Mom,

They have their charms. I am discovering that digital cable has its advantages :).

Susan,

I think Daniel has just become accustomed to me having somewhat more artistic tastes. He didn't begrudge me my silly girl TV. You do manage to bounce back in surprising ways! About 1-40, yes... and we are on it with some regularity. Please greet Thomas for us and have a lovely time together.

L.L.,

Yes, a blog is a challenging medium. I often write more (lengthwise) than I think is ideal, but I am just selfish enough to consider this blog to be my outlet, whether or not it ends up being inviting to others. Thanks for the encouragement!

Your posts are always so lovely, and you are always so gracious to those who comment. I have certainly come to admire you from this distance and am humbled and grateful that you have taken similar interest in me. I am also very much enjoying getting to know you!

Grumpy Old Man said...

My sister's a yarn addict, too. I understand the appeal.

On the other hand, even in my secular days I disliked sentimental, non-religious Christmas stuff. Even though I tear up at any movie with a sick or lost child, the maudlin Christmas stuff evokes an "Ugh!"

That goes double for "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" and its ilk.

Score: Danial 1, Nikki 1.

Grumpy Old Man said...

Daniel, not Danial. And certainly not Denial.

That's some river in Egypt.

Susan in PA said...

Yesterday proved to be bittersweet. Thomas arrived on time-Rachel gave him a warp speed flying hug at the luggage carrel. But his luggage didn't, it was delivered to home at 11pm.

But Bob's aunt (mother's side) called to tell us that his uncle (father's side) had passed away the day before.. She had read it in the obits. NO ONE HAD CALLED US. He was already cremated and buried.

I guess the Frantzes were indifferent Catholics, and I surmise, that's why Bob is Orthodox.

Gotta get Thomas into that choir loft Sunday so we will have enough men to sing the Lord's Prayer, music by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

Nikki said...

Hello again Grumpy :) Always nice to hear from you. Unlike the NHL, I am okay with tied scores. Perhaps we will leave it that way.

Susan,
Oh my. Sorry for your loss. I hope the rest of the holidays bring better things to all of you.