Thursday, December 6, 2007

I'm fine, thank you.

When asked, "How are you?" I am the sort of person that is likely to give an honest answer, and often as not that answer will be somewhat less unflaggingly optimistic (or formality-bound, depending on your perspective) than the culturally mandatory "I'm fine, thank you."

I've tried to explain the weight of this cultural norm to a online friend who is learning English. He consistently answers "I'm okay" when I inquire about his wellbeing via instant messenger. His answer always prompts a "Why just okay?" from me, to which he then replies, "Nothing is wrong; that's just what I say."

That little exchange has become our own ritual. I suppose what I have unsuccessfully tried to convey to him is that until you really know how something will be understood culturally, in the context of the language and of the listener, the default reply is probably the best one. Still, I have this subtle expectation of honesty and accuracy where most of our culture seems to have none, and I have little respect for the prescribed reply once I have any respect for my conversation partner.

The fact is, I can nearly always find something to complain about, repeatedly and at length. I don't think this is a virtue -- it's more of a failing. But it also makes me me somehow. Still, even as curmudgeonly (realistic, pessimistic, depressive, melancholy... ?) as I am, there are moments in life when even I can't help but realize that I am, indeed, fine. One of those moments came last night.

It was about 8:00. Dinner had been consumed, work had been set aside for a few hours. I had soft yarn and slightly chilly knitting needles in my hands and comfy slippers on my feet. The lights were off, except for the hundreds of tiny white bulbs bedecking the newly-acquired Christmas tree and garlands. There was a warm orange glow and gentle crackling in the fireplace that took the bite out of the chill of the room. My husband, healthy except for the obligatory pre-concert sore throat, sat contentedly beside me on the couch, dividing his attention between the small, furry body snoring on his lap and the hockey game on the screen. My own lap was warmed by a larger purring cat who occasionally roused himself from his catnip dreams to take a swipe at my yarn.

I stilled my mind's constant scampering long enough to be in that moment, and I saw that the moment was beautiful. I stopped knitting, looked at Daniel, until he felt my gaze and turned to look back at me, and I told him that I loved being there with him in that moment.

And I did love it, because there, in that moment, it didn't matter what the bank account balance said, what we'd eat for dinner tomorrow, who would attend our concerts this weekend, what I would wear to a wedding next month, whether I would meet my deadline on Monday, what this or that person thought of me, what I said yesterday that I shouldn't have. Not my sins of omission and commission. Not our plans for life in 10 years. Not all of the things I should have done and didn't and did do and shouldn't have. None of it mattered.

In that moment was all of the contentment I long for when I am busy fretting about everything past and everything future.

I wonder how often I let these moments slip by without the slightest notice. Probably depressingly often. Still, I captured this one, and I will treasure it in my heart.

How am I?

I'm fine, thank you.

How are you?

6 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

This is lovely. And it expresses something I've been thinking about these days... the gift of each moment... and I ask myself, am I seeing it, right now? The chill, the warmth, the gaze, the fire, I want to see it. It's a new way I'm looking towards. And you've expressed it so poignantly here.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts! I agree that those beautiful moments slip through the cracks of our noticing far too often. Life is FULL of them even when we are sure that we are living an ugly mess.

Angie said...

Very nice. I prefer to say that I am doing well as the standard answer. If I say "okay", usually things are better. If tired, I'll say tired. I do know, however, that peaceful feeling when everything in that moment is as it should be. Then I'm doing wonderfully well.

Angie said...

Erm, if I say I'm okay things could be better...that's what I meant... ;)

Anonymous said...

Yup. At my advanced age I am also learning to enjoy the moment. It seemed for years I always had to go on to the next thing. Always work to do of some sort. It is nice to slow down, enjoy that special moment and then say, "I am doing very well, thank you!"

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

I am glad you are doing well :). Talia brings a lot of joy to our lives so even when I am tired or frustrated, I just have to look at her beautiful smile and I feel much better. So, I tend to use the culturally acceptable answer and I really mean it. My complaints are tiny compared to the blessings in my life. And you are one!!