Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

Autumn is just around the corner, and nature is preparing to welcome her. Temperatures are dropping and breezes have picked up, causing the fluttering willow leaves to dance all day and inviting open windows in the morning and evening. The weather is more balmy than suffocating, and the insects are becoming less plentiful. Our herbs have taken root, flourished and are, many of them, starting to go to seed. The trees are beginning to contemplate shedding their adornment, turning yellow in patches as if to try out the new color before committing to the new seasonal look. The stream is low, but clearing -- its bottom visible through the less muddied and algae-clotted water. Minnows swim, and squirrels frolic, but the deer and other four-legged visitors have become less frequent. The small patch of green beyond the stream, as if overnight, exploded into wild yellow blooms. The sun still shines, but it sometimes rests behind the clouds.

There are things I miss about California, but this place holds incredible charms for me. It's really quite lovely. I feel very blessed. I love to call such a place home.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Squirrels, I have noticed, sometimes frolic even when it's snowing. They always look so cold when they do...

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki said...

I imagine I will frolic when it snows, too. If it snows. And if I happen to see it happening. :D