Thursday, April 16, 2009

Today He who hung the earth upon the waters is hung upon the Cross.
Today He who hung the earth upon the waters is hung upon the Cross.
Today He who hung the earth upon the waters is hung upon the Cross.
He who is King of the angels is arrayed in a crown of thorns.
He who wraps the heaven in clouds is wrapped in the purple of mockery.
He who in Jordan set Adam free receives blows upon his face.
The bridegroom of the Church is pierced with a spear.
We venerate Thy Passion, O Christ.
We venerate Thy Passion, O Christ.
We venerate Thy Passion, O Christ.
Show us also Thy glorious Resurrection.

13th century icon of the Crucifixion from St. Catherine's Monastery on Sinai.

Incense hung in the air tonight, as the lights were put out, the kneeling faithful held single glowing candles to combat the darkness, and the cross was carried around the room. I began to cry as the image of Christ's passion was made present. Then Christ was hung aloft on the cross before the altar -- the final, perfect sacrifice, and we came to present our candles and gifts of flowers while the chanters sang of Christ's suffering. We bowed our bodies before him, the living God, who, by his voluntary death, has robbed death of its victory and the grave of its sting, loosed the captives, freed us from sin and restored all of creation.



This is a video from another Greek Orthodox parish last year. The moment I speak of begins at 1 hour 30 minutes in the video, which can be reached by moving the slider at the bottom of the player. In this video, much of the chanting is in Greek, but the chanting beginning at that point is the text that begins this post.

3 comments:

Epona said...

Christ is Risen! Awesome post as usual..me? 6 1/2 hours at Church is just awesome.
going to go back for more at 9 AM

oh I was just reading on and off in another church in town...they do that all night, and try their best so the reading of the bible rarely stops...all times where filled so I put
*Maria Frantz (Any time) on the guest list.. All times filled. XD I found that out Good Friday and I was I knew of this goes on in many churches from Fr. Andrew long ago...I was like? They do it here at: http://www.holyghostuoc.org/... I at once once I asked a friend to take me and he did. :D

Happy Easter....glorious Resurrection!

"Christos Anesti"

Grumpy Old Man said...

The service is amazing.

We at St. John's missed you two, but baby comes first, we know.

Susan in PA said...

Christos Voskrese!
Ah, so Grumpy Old Man IS someone from St. John's. I don't quite picture Michael and Nita being on line.

Guess who called me at 1am to bring her home because she was getting tired. Hint: her post reads like someone pretty sleepy.

I managed to eat some spoiled leftovers, tossed my cookies Paska morning, still dragged myself to church and sat in the choir loft, singing, then slept most of the day.

Don't need to pig out anyway. My waistbands are getting looser, and at my last diabetic checkup on the 15th I got congratulations for taking care of myself.

BTW - is your due date at the beginning of August or at the end? I know people with birthdays of Transfiguration (6th), and the 27th.