Thursday, April 23, 2009

Quick Update

Just quickly, aside from keeping an eye on my borderline-high blood pressure and my placenta previa, which we hope will have moved up out of the way by my next ultrasound, I seem to be in good shape. Baby also appears to be fine. He has a heartbeat in the 145 bpm range and does plenty of wiggling around at this point. No comment was made by the doctor on my weight gain or tummy measurements, so I assume those are unremarkable. I have gained 1 pound per week, which is pretty much standard at this point in pregnancy, although I can probably stand to gain somewhat less because of my starting weight.

Dan and I plan to make a mini-trip this Sunday into Raleigh for game 6 of the Hurricanes' quarterfinal playoff series with the New Jersey Devils. We have arranged to stay in a hotel within walking distance of the arena if necessary (we can also drive in and park if need be--how much walking I am up to at any one time is unpredictable) since the game will probably be at 7:30 pm (time is still TBA), and we'd rather get up early to drive back to Greensboro so Dan can get to work than make a really long day of it by driving up, watching the game and then driving back late. It will also give us a place to crash before the game so I can rest up for the exertion. This will also test my ability to be away from home for a night, since we'd like to take the "free" 2-night trip we won at Dan's Christmas party before baby arrives but haven't felt I am up to the trip. It's been a LONG time since we've been to a game, and we don't anticipate being able to go next season much if at all, given that we plan to have our hands full. So... count this as one of our last hurrahs for a while.

3 comments:

Susan in PA said...

They're keeping an eye on the blood glucose, too, I presume. When I started showing highs at 7 months with Rachel, I got slapped onto a stricter diet than I eat now. I actually LOST weight during my last 3 weeks, and Rachel weighed 9 lbs. 1 oz. at birth. (For those who haven't met her, she's about 5'6" and 140 lbs., size 12, now.)

So a pound a week is OK in mid pregnancy no matter where you started out. Any more, or less than 3/4 pound, and that will be added to the list of concerns.

But it sounds like the diet you are eating will keep you away from this. :) It also helps if neither of your parents are Type 2 diabetics, which my father was.

Nikki said...

Hi Susan,

They are checking for sugar in my urine at every visit, but I'll have a glucose test next visit. As you mentioned, I'm actually eating pretty carefully anyway - minimizing sugar and sodium and maximizing whole grains and protein. I'm also eating high glycemic index/load foods sparingly - potato products are okay once in a while, but I choose whole grain pasta more often and I have at least some protein with every meal or snack. I was "bad" this week in honor of Pascha, but only a little - I just allowed myself more sweets. I hope this will mean that even if I do develop gestational diabetes, I will already be pretty much eating as I need to. There's some type 2 diabetes in the family, so I know it's a concern. :)

Susan in PA said...

Straight-line ancestors, or peripheral? The further away, the less the concern. Great-grandma Zina (Aunt Tola's sister) had diabetes, but not my grandma or mom, so ok. Some of Mom's cousins are diabetic, however.

Great-grandma Fannie (Fennigje?) Lydens got both feet amputated, and died at 63. Grandpa Adrian Lydens dropped of a heart attack at 67. Dad had his right foot amputated, but chemical-work lung cancer took him out at 71. That's why I got zapped in pregnancy with HEAVY babies. Anne was my lightest at 8 lbs. 9 oz., see Rachel above.

It's also why my endocrinologist almost parties when she sees my test results reading in the normal range. :D