Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Holding my Breath

I'm not sure if it's my penchant for worry, the hormones raging through my system, my past miscarriage or some combination of those and other factors, but so far I would have to say that pregnancy has been a bit like holding my breath for several months at a stretch. I imagine it would be a little bit different if I didn't have known complications that limit my activity or, perhaps, if I had a job to keep my mind on other things. As things are, however, I feel like 80% of the time -- when I am alone at home or awake in the night -- I have nothing in the world but this baby and my own thoughts, and since my thoughts don't tend to be unflaggingly positive, it's a whole lot of work to avoid sinking into something akin to paranoia and despair.

Truth be told, I live for the moments of reassurance that come from good doctor's visits (that are all too few and far between for my tastes) and spend a fair amount of down time (of which I have plenty) waiting to feel a movement or to become convinced by the whispering reassuring voices in my head that I should worry less and believe more, and ignore the insistent voices that argue to the contrary. Perhaps this is a reflection of my spiritual health -- more faith = less fear -- or perhaps it's just part of the experience for me at this otherwise very quiet time in my life.

It's so hard to at the same time fall madly in love with this tiny little person and to be desperately afraid to get attached. It's too late for that already, but perhaps you know what I mean. I'm thrilled to be carrying this child, and my heart is overflowing with love for it already. I simply wonder why I can't rejoice in every minute the blessing is in my life without wondering when it will be snatched away. It doesn't seem right or fair to feel this way, but I have not figured out how to banish my worries and cling to hope.

My husband, who gave me some really adorable sports-themed baby things for Christmas, promptly hid them away in his closet when he realized that my reaction to the items was less enthusiastic than either of us would have liked. He did this because he's sensitive to the fact that I was worried about this baby in those early scary days. Fact is, I am still not ready to make our home look like it will be inhabited by another little person in about 5 months. He's been very good about just supporting me where I am, but I still feel like something is wrong with me.

One of the ways this all manifests is in my reluctance to plan too far in advance or to even buy anything for the baby. I finally broke out of that a little bit this past week by deciding that it wouldn't hurt to have done some of my research when the magic moment arrives (time TBA) that it's okay to start planning and buying in earnest. I went to Babies-R-Us after a reassuring doctor's visit and walked the aisles taking notes on what sorts of things I would like to have in the house for baby. Then, this weekend, we had a real adventure: we went to the zoo, aka IKEA in Charlotte, and while it wiped me out for a few days, we did manage to do what I had wanted to do - price and touch the cribs and other baby furniture they offer.

We're not rolling in the dough these days, so I find my wants are really fairly modest. I know many people in our lives will probably be happy to give us baby-related gifts, but I am looking at the baby-stuff acquisition project as a chance to decide what we would *need* if we were reduced to buying it all ourselves. I think that helps with focus in a sector of the retail world that peddles cute and cuddly to the exclusion of good sense. If I can manage to focus on function first, perhaps we can enjoy the frills a bit more when we add them on top. It helps to know what function costs so that I can spot a deal. My momma taught me that much!

There are two consignment events happening this month, and I have decided that they are good opportunities to quit fretting and start getting positive. Would it kill me to buy a couple of gently worn generic onesies? Would the sky come crashing down if I dared to pick up a used crib or other bit of baby furniture? There is the real concern that buying consignment means I can't take it back if I discover I don't need or want the item, but that's hardly a reason to wait until I have a squealing babe in arms to start buying items said squealing person will need. If we don't need them, someone will, and I am sure I can come up with a solution.

Let's get real here. Even if the sky did come crashing down and one of my worst-case scenarios became my reality ... I'm smart enough to realize that there isn't a causal relationship between buying baby things and tragedy. The only causal relationship of note is that of God's hand in everything that happens in life, and my need to trust him that whatever he has in store. You know... He *may* just bless us with a healthy baby! I wish I could get that through my head... or at least just muster trust sufficient for each day as it comes, because when it comes to holding your breath... you can only do it for so long without killing something in yourself.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smart momma. You slept in a used crib. I think you turned out quite well.

Susan in PA said...

Bob didn't tell his mother we were expecting Maria until I was 4 months pregnant, because of the prior miscarriage. Then when we flew her out to CA to watch Thomas and Anne, she swore the doctor couldn't count months right and I wasn't due. So being the mom in this outfit doesn't mean you're the only one worrying.....

I bought a used crib for Thomas; Anne used it; when the neighbor was getting rid of her old crib, Maria and Rachel used it. I took one drop-side off the old crib and made a child-sized daybed that the girls used until they were too tall.

Grumpy Old Man said...

Having children means giving hostages to fortune.

All your life.

We are praying for you.

Nikki said...

Thanks for the prayers and the comments in general. :) We went to Babies-R-Us last night and looked at strollers and things and apparently are now the new best friends of the salesguy in the stroller section. I finally had to make an excuse to leave that part of the store. It was fun, though. Our favorite part of the store was the gliding rockers. Ooooh - love the gliding rockers.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got to do the fun part of being pregnant--planning and shopping for the baby with baby stuff. I hope that it got your mind off the fear and worrying while doing so.

But, I must admit that many of the things you said in this post rings true for me, too. And, my child is beyond the womb.

I know of that breath holding that you speak of. But, I must say that through the darkness is light, if we are willing to adjust our eyes to see it. Many prayers your way.

I love the gliders, too. But, never got one. They're soo expensive. We have several swings, some play mats, and toys that have not been open. I don't want to share our boys' clothes with you because they're so gross, it's embarassing.

I find that the convertible cribs are quite useful. There are ones that convert from a crib to a toddler bed, to a full size bed. So cool. Like Susan, we took the front side of the crib off Justin's and pushed the crib against our bed for him. A little bit like a cosleeper.

You can buy clothes for pretty cheap at Target. Let me know if you decide to have a baby shower.

Email me or Loi if you need anything.

Nikki said...

Thanks for commenting, Jennifer.

Hmmm. I have no idea if I will have a shower, mostly because the people we know well in CA we haven't seen in a year or more and we're just getting to know people here -- one of the hazards of Dan's lay-off and new job requiring a move -- so I don't expect much from our new church and neighbors, none of whom have babies to provide hand-me-downs anyway. So, if I have a shower, it will probably either be from relative strangers at church or a virtual shower from a distance. It may not be what I imagined in my little girl having a baby fantasies, but I'm not too worried about it. :)

I'm guessing our relatives and some of our good friends will gift us things shower or no shower, and I have decided to just ask God to provide what we need and my job will be to be frugal and not worry about the rest.

It's a fascinating time to be having a baby, given that it feels like the country is in a tailspin and I haven't even gotten nibbles in my own job search. It's really helped me to think about the difference between what we need and what we want, and those genuine needs are really pretty simple.

It's so kind of you to think of what you may have that we may find useful. Clothes are the least of my worries, really. I know we can find them inexpensively, and that seems to be the sort of thing that people like to spontaneously give as baby grows. I'll definitely keep you guys in mind as we figure out what we can find in our consignment shopping.

Susan in PA said...

I told Jennifer (on her blog) that my courses for medical administrative assistant is a medical vocabulary course, so feel free to hit me with any $1.98 word you can't get the doctor to explain.

The medical part of this course begins tomorrow. It doesn't intimidate me, but please pray anyway.

Is my blog a load of verbose fluff, that no one is reading it? No one's commenting....I suspect Thomas doesn't think he needs to do so.