Thursday, October 16, 2008

Local Color

Fall has many charms, and several of the more tasty charms are for sale at the local farmer's market. This one has absolutely captivated me. It's quite large and quite diverse, with local products featuring prominently in the offerings, which I like very well, indeed. I like to support the local economy, and I like to be as close to the source of the food as practical. Here are some highlights from the market.

First, my sweetheart in a house made of pumpkins.


Taters, sweet and otherwise.
Some of the many varied pumpkins for sale.

Apples, apples and more apples!
Apples aren't the only cider-fruits round these parts.
Colorful blooms.
Green pumpkins.

Of course, there are other forms of wildlife in town... some that are just as native as well, I am.


Napping red wolves.
Kitties!!!See ya later alligator, and after a while crocodile.
And my favorite, a cute little Wallaby that let me pet him and nuzzled my feet.
Isn't our world amazing and beautiful!

8 comments:

My Site said...

Everything looks just delicious! I love going to the farmers markets as well, but the products are so expensive. Have you heart of CSA http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
Thought you might be interested.

Jen

Nikki said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your comment and for the link. We used to belong to something similar to the CSA in CA. I loved it, except I never managed to use everything in my produce box. I have found here that the produce is cheaper at the farmers markets than it is at the supermarkets, so that makes the farmer's market a great choice here. I suppose there is more local agriculture locally in NC to make it more economical. :)

Nikki

My Site said...

Wish I were there. From what I can tell through your pictures, NC sounds like a wonderful place to be. Full confession: I've always wanted my own garden...become a farmer of a mini farm, minus the animals (I can't handle that). I see you as the type as well. Have you tried?

Anonymous said...

I love fall!!

Nice pumkin house. Did you make an offer?

See you soon!

Susan in PA said...

'I suppose there is more local agriculture.....' That's the truth. (no Edith Ann raspberry)
The local Amish put out their produce on tables with a cash box labled "self-service".

L.L. Barkat said...

pumpkin in a pumpkin house. :) sweet.

Susan in PA said...

Re pumpkin house man: Wish it were still t-shirt weather here. Tomatoes not picked, storm windows not put up, furnace filter not changed, and World Series not won here :) .....

Anonymous said...

Hey, happy birthday! I have been trying to send you a card, but I don't have a current email address.