Sunday, April 13, 2008

Harmonic Convergence

Every once in a while I have one of those perfect moments when music combines with place to make an unforgettable connection with my emotions, leaving me somewhat sad, but overwhelmingly peaceful.

One occurred about 8 years ago. I had just broken off another awful dating relationship and had taken a day to just think and be quiet at the Huntington Library and Gardens. That is one of my very favorite places on the planet, because between the tea house, gift shop, sprawling gardens, magnificent old house and priceless art, it's one of those places that distills all that is good and beautiful into a few acres of calm in the midst of unrelenting urban sprawl. I had sat on the grass, journal and book in hand, and looked at the flowers and trees until my skin bore the unmistakable traces of sun and my lungs almost tired of breathing unsullied air. I walked out to my car as the sun began to set, and I felt lighter and more hopeful than I had felt in a long time. I climbed into the stiffling warmth of the Oldsmobile boat I drove at the time, and as I blasted the air conditioning, I also turned on the radio. A classical station was playing Barber's Adagio for strings, one of the most beautiful and passionate pieces of music I have ever heard. The strings climb gently to a swelling crescendo, and with, the golden orange rays of the evening sun spilling over me, I felt the full impact of the music, as I never have outside of that context.


I had another moment last night. The circumstances were more ordinary. We had nearly run out of cat food, and I had to run off to Trader Joe's before it closed. I had been working like crazy for days, and only with great force of will have I been able to still my mind enough to sleep. I've been jittery and anxious and anything but peaceful. Even a walk down a previously undiscovered nature trail near our house hadn't calmed me enough that my mind could stop its frenetic spinning. It was dark when I left home, and still darker when I headed back home again, 36 cans of cat food and select vegetarian packaged foods in tow. I found myself traveling a deserted stretch of highway 55. There were no lights, save the distant tail-lights of a fellow traveler, so all that greeted me ahead and behind were the black outlines of freshly-leaved trees against a background of dark gray night sky. It was peaceful, so incredibly peaceful, and on the radio came a song that, for me, wraps up all of the nostalgia of home and loss and all of the memories that we store up in our hearts--the things and people and places that shape us.


I think these moments must be gifts. I cherish them.

... we carry every sadness with us

Every hour our hearts were broken


Every night the fear and darkness


Lay down with us



But I am holding half an acre


Torn from the map of Michigan


I am carrying this scrap of paper



That can crack the darkest sky wide open


Every burden taken from me


Every night my heart unfolding


My home



Somehow, wherever I am when I hear this song, I feel at home. Last night was no exception. What a lovely place to call home.

3 comments:

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Beautiful music. I love how music can take me back mentally, spiritually, and emotionally to certain events and places in my life. It is truly one of God's amazing gifts to mankind. Conversely, it can be one of our greatest gifts to Our Father.

Anonymous said...

Both are very pretty. I have Barber's Adagio on my ipod but could not have told you the name - just recognize the melody. Music is such a gift from God. It will really be incredible to enjoy it in His presence in heaven.

Susan in PA said...

Had to google the band Hem, of course. I usually use the back of my left hand as the convenient built-in map so I can point out areas. So my 'half acre' is at the base of the little finger - northern Muskegon County.

But my 'heart' has moved up to the first knuckle on that pinky....where my mother, youngest sister, and her children live, and my father and grandparents are buried.

Hem's 'hand' falls into most of my experience since I graduated from college: 8 out of 10 expatriate Michiganders come from the Detroit orbit. :)

Now I gotta get those girls to show me how to download that MP3!