Sunday, February 24, 2008

In Praise of Nature and Artifice

Daniel and I wanted to get out yesterday -- so we did. First to nature, then to art.

The weather was mild and the rain had slackened. The skies alternated between clear and overcast, and we didn't need to bundle up. My stipulations were that we go somewhere scenic where I could use our new camera. His stipulations were that we go somewhere friendly enough to foot traffic that we could get our heart rates up over something other than hockey.

We debated the myriad possibilities, and then eventually decided to explore the lands surrounding the Shearon Harris Nuclear Plant. While I was more than a little skeptical about the wisdom of going to an area best know for nuclear fission in search of unspoiled natural beauty, I was open to the opportunity once we looked at a map, seeing that portions of the land are dedicated as parks, trails and campgrounds. As it turns out, neither of us was disappointed. We wandered around for the better part of 2 hours and took in an interesting combination of nature and artifice, design and decay.

The massive cooling tower created...a pillar of cloud as we wandered through the wilderness.
The land was peppered, here and there, with the refuse of human life...... and the empty shells of other lives.
The trees still clung to whithered leaves...
but the earth trumpeted the nearness of spring.

There were quiet corners to explore...
and mysterious lifeforms to encounter.
We saw how the strength of that built with hands could be overcome by persistent vines...and how watery carpets of deep red fern and tufts of brilliant green...persist in the face of shimmering oil.
It was all a reminder that we always have the choice to embrace life...
and can grow together...
or apart.

Night fallen, we took advantage of free tickets and went to hear the ecstatic laments of the displaced hordes (Dawn Upshaw singing Golijov's Ayre), and the song of whales in the quiet blue deep, interpreted by the lips and hands of masked musicians (Crumb's Vox Balaenae). Here, again, nature met artifice.

Even when the world turns upside down...
there is order and beauty and life... sometimes because of what we bring to the earth, and sometimes because of what we leave unspoiled.

(All photos save the one *of* Nikki were taken by me [Nikki] and represent my first attempts at using a non-point-and-shoot camera. I didn't edit any of them [except for flipping the last one] because I simply don't have time or desire right now. I reserve the rights to them anyway!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures!

Susan in PA said...

Daffodil season coming that soon? Better check the pots in the back yard. (Currently 25ยบ and 3 inches snow on the ground.)

Angie said...

I wish there were signs of spring here. So far it feels like winter will never end, yet I know that it will soon enough.

I am jealous of your views and walk. People around here consider 40 degrees fantastically warm and time to go out for a walk. Looks like your weather was a little bit nicer than that!

Nikki said...

Thanks. As for the pictures, only the last few (the barbed wire, for instance) benefited from the ability I now have to manually focus the lens. That's when I decided to move away from the "full auto" setting. I like this camera very much indeed.

There are a few daffodils popping up on our street as well. Temperatures have been in the 60s, and rain has been coming about every other day. I have started taking a few pictures in our yard, too... I just haven't posted any yet.

I think this would be in part why we opted for North Carolina over a place with more snow (we talked about both NY and PA). We got a bit of snow and we have to slog through a month or two of boiling air in the summer, but mostly, it's really quite lovely. :D

Susan in PA said...

I thought you moved to NC because Daniel's family is there (when we thought he was a CA local).

To the Ibex scribe: some of my family left the Syracuse area for western Michigan around the time of the Civil War. Climatewise, no improvement. Having the snow remain only a week and then wither in a 45 degree 'heat wave' is welcome to sure footing, but I think I'd rather put up with the Dec-Mar snow I saw as a child. Trade you for a week.

Nikki said...

Susan,

Actually... we moved to this area because of a combination of factors, including climate, job market (and, importantly, an actual job offer for Dan), relatively lower cost of living, the fact that Dan loves this state and went to HS in NC, natural beauty, musical opportunities, and the nearness of family... but the family that is nearby is on my side.

N

Susan in PA said...

Then how'd you end up in CA? I was dumb enough to follow someone to CA from MSU, and he broke the engagement.
(This was back in the ancient days of '75, when you were a toddler and Dan was in grade school.) :)

Nikki said...

We were both born in CA. Dan just took the roughly Guatemala - Colorado - North Carolina - route to get back to CA for college. I, on the other hand, had never left... until now.

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

xGreat job with the photography. I point and click. We are just beginning to see signs of spring, too.

I imagine a nuclear plant would have plenty of open land surrounding. Even if there weren't government mandates, it isn't the kind of monument you would want in your neighborhood.