Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dream a little dream

I can't help but find dreams entertaining. I mean, I am insane enough when I am awake, but when I am sleeping... wow.

Here are just a few themes/tidbits from the nighttime mental wanderings of the last week. The symbolism of most of them are not lost on me...! This is what I get when I combine tidbits of conversations, real life worries, Tolstoy before sleep, lots of comfort food and my own special brand of lunacy.

1. Daniel got a new (second) job at JCPenney, about which he was very excited. I went to pick him up on a Saturday night, and he came out to the car long enough to tell me he was going to be working tomorrow, Sunday, too... and wasn't that great? I wasn't so sure. I followed him back into the store (which was very strange and featured over-turned old beaters of sofas, among other things that I don't expect to see at Penneys) found him in a back office somewhere, and explained that the rather pitiful hourly rate they were paying probably wasn't worth the time lost "working" there when he could be doing other things. He thought for a moment, agreed, and quit.

2. Daniel and I were looking for a little boy of maybe 8 years of age - he wasn't ours, but we had misplaced him somehow and I knew we needed to find him. Perhaps we were babysitting? I don't know. Anyway, we'd been looking for a while and he just wasn't turning up. Finally, I stopped Daniel and said, "This is only a dream. He's not really lost. When we wake up he is certain to be right where he belongs." We went back about our dreamy business, content that he no longer needed finding.

3. I had an suckling infant boy. This one was mine. It was probably no more than a year old in physical development, but it was about 30 intellectually, which became clear when it began talking to me of serious philosophical matters. I don't remember much of what he said, and I am not sure it matters. He reminded me of a much more human and much more pleasant version of the "Stewy" character from The Family Guy TV series. (Not that I would ever watch such drivel, of course). I just remember that the baby was happy to talk about very serious matters between unsuccessful attempts to nurse--he also seemed to enjoy changes of clothing. Thankfully, his diaper never needed tending.

4. I was in some huge crate-like self-propelled wooden wagon with a bunch of people -- mostly people I don't know. My parents and a variety of friends were in or around the wagon, and we were all in a street somewhere (I have no idea where) that was very full of traffic and people -- almost like there was a parade or festival going on. Up next to the wagon pulled the most bizarre and enormous carriage, pulled by a team of four large white horses--each richly decorated like carousel horses. That wasn't so strange, until I noticed that on each of the horses stood a largish goat (similarly adorned), and on each of the goats stood a small pony (Shetland, maybe) each of which, in turn, was being ridden by small children. Somehow one of the friends in the wagon thing with me decided that the children weren't safe up there, so we helped them down and into the wagon. At that point the wagon was quite crowded, so my friend hopped out and began running ahead of the wagon, pulling it along by pulling on my hand as I held on to the wagon. He eventually tired of running and pulling and just ran away, and the wagon moved on of its own accord. Meanwhile, people bustled and chatted and walked along as if nothing whatsoever was strange about this picture.

Okay, sooo. There are mine. Now I want to hear about your dreams. :) What has your sub-conscious mind thought up lately?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuckle. I used to get a kick out of my dreams. I don't remember them now. But if I do, I will post it.

I suppose I could start wit my childhood recurring nightmare and my young adult recurring nightmare.

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

I love this post! I have also had dreams of babies having maturity and intellect well beyond their size.

I read a study that said that conservatives and liberals dream differently. It revealed that those that considered themselves conservative tended to have dreams based on the reality of their lives/families. Those that considered themselves liberal had more fantastical and erotic dreams. It makes sense that ideology would effect subconscious thinking (dreaming). I found it fascinating. Maybe I will Google it to see if I can find it again...

I have yet to grow out of the "vivid dreams" of pregnancy. While they are not as stunningly real, they are long dreams that last all night. Even when I was getting up several times at night to nurse or pump, my dream would pick up right where it left off when my head hit the pillow. I find myself on random adventures, often with Jon, and then the reality of taking care of Talia hits me. It doesn't matter if I am in the bunker from "Lost" or back in Israel, I feel this surge of guilt and worry as I realize that I can't just abandon my baby. I imagine my dreams will eventually update to include Talia from the beginning.

Susan in PA said...

This isn't exactly a dream....My kids found the journal I was keeping in the wreck of my car, and said "Hey, Mom would make a good fantasy or sci-fi author."

(Hadn't kept one before or since. Family keeps me too busy, I guess.)

But ever since my dad died I've had a scenario of what he was doing since...being called out of his cancerous shell by the Angel of Mercy, doing obeisance to Christ, being reunited with his mom, dad and brothers, facing off with the demons that followed him in life and having victory, and then cleaning out the spiritual environment around all his living loved ones so that we would find comfort in his memory.

It's not straight protestant doctrine (going straight to either place), but for orthodoxy it seems mishmashed. If I called it sci-fi. though, Dad would have loved it.


And I used to dream Thomas was older, and looked forward to it. Now that he's out the door and gone, I dream of him coming back at unexpected times and places.

L.L. Barkat said...

I think I've written about at least one of my dreams at Love Notes to Yahweh. Something about losing my daughter in NYC.

Dreams are cool.

Angie said...

Lately my dreams have been all Lost related since I am in the process of watching season two after just finishing up season one. I tend to dream about whatever I have been watching or reading or thinking about a lot. Dreams are usually for me a continuation of my thoughts before bed. One exception was a dream that I had recently that featured some people from my 5th grade class. Not sure where that came from...

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

I won't drop links but if you are interested in the aforementioned study you can check it out in The Ottowa Citizen by Chris Lackner September 27, 2006.

Cheek, I didn't realize that you have also become lost. It is an addictive world that we should have never entered :). But CSI and NCIS were all reruns (those darn writers/studios). We haven't watched TV at home in a couple years, but we are enjoying free streaming HD with our DSL!

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki said...

I'll spare you my childhood nightmares. At least one was rather too disturbing to recount in this forum.

I sometimes have some CSI-influenced dreams, but I have yet to become "lost" - I think, perhaps, I will leave it that way.

I didn't have to get pregnant to have vivid dreams. My dreams are usually full-color, very detailed, often rather tactile (if I awaken suddenly, I can still "feel" what I was feeling in the dream) and complete with "soundtrack" - yes, I actually have music in the background of almost all of my dreams. It's usually on the order of Musak, though. You'd think I could do better than that!

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

I, too, have "soundtracks" in my dreams. They are generally classical, but sometimes I venture out into whatever song is stuck in my head.