Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Licensed to Drive


I am happy to report that the DMV is the DMV, and it isn't.

Allow me to explain... Dan and I needed to get our NC driver's licenses, so we scrounged around for the requisite paperwork and read the 141-page driver's guide to prepare for--yes--our written driver's test. We drove in to Fuquay-Varina to the License office and went through the required procedures. We both passed the test first time, thankfully! Anyhow, we experienced a wait of a few minutes only, and had smiling, helpful DMV employees make sure we had been taken care of. I was also smiled at or talked to pleasantly by at least 3 other people there with DMV business to take care of. When I froze up identifying street signs by shape and color, I was simply told the correct answers by the person administering the exam.

Now... this is not my usual experience with the DMV. My usual experience is at least an hour long and is more often accompanied by teeth grinding and hair-pulling than it is by smiles and chatter. I have to wonder if registering the car will be quite so pleasant.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: