Monday, July 2, 2007

And Miles to Go Before We Sleep...

The last several days have been a whirlwind of activity. We've managed to mostly pack up the contents of our house, load most of the important bits onto a truck (well... onto a truck and then into a trailer--long story... I won't miss Orange County laws.) and take up residence on the floor of the master bedroom with odds and ends (mostly trash) surrounding our borrowed air mattress.

I am reminded that I really hate moving all of our earthly possessions... and I am also reminded that we have far too many of them! The good part is that we will have significantly fewer when we arrive on the right coast. Knowing we will not have a garage makes it easier to decide to throw some things away. Throwing, in general, is something I am loathe to do, since, as mom and I were discussing over box #38, I am sentimental about people and things. I have managed to amass quite an assortment of scraps of paper and nick-nacks that illustrate my history. (You know, I really should get rid of some of those old journals!)

The cats are definitely beginning to become suspicious. They are no longer allowed on their "prison yard walks," as cat behavior dictates that when the people are acting strangely, the kitties should consider finding a good hiding place--preferably somewhere in the neighborhood that is inaccessible to the humans. Monte has illustrated this principle twice when he has managed to sneak out. I'm in no humor to look for him again!

We went to church this morning. Daniel went early to chant matins. I came later with Khouria Ann and Stephanie. It may have been the last service for the foreseeable future that will be sung in 4 parts, because I sang tenor and Daniel sang bass. The service was quite lovely, if a bit long, since we had a few "add-ons." The first of the additions was an service of the removal of the wedding crowns for Dave and Lisa, a lovely couple whose wedding was held after church two weeks ago. The second addition was a beautiful prayer for the journey that Father prayed over us. The last was a Trisagion memorial service for a priest in Northern California who has passed away during the week. Any one of those things would have been enough to make me sniffle a bit. Any two would have been enough to make me shed a few tears. All three... well, I was little more than a puddle.

After the service, Father Andrew talked for a few minutes about his love for us and about Daniel's investment and sacrifice over the years for our little mission parish. He became choked up, and I couldn't help but cry some more. He made an appeal to the small congregation to make the small spiritual vineyard Daniel had helped to plant bear rich fruit--for Daniel. Father presented us with a card signed by all of the parishioners that contained an immensely generous love gift collected by our spiritual family there. After church we talked and hugged and ate an amazing cake Linda made that featured the full, detailed sheet music to "God Grant You Many Years" on the top.

I'd like to take a moment to thank all of the wonderful people at St. John, and, further back, at St. Michael in Whitter, who have embraced us and been such blessings in our lives. I couldn't begin to name the ways we have been enriched by knowing all of the living saints we have met over the past 15 years--both as individuals and together as a couple. We pray that God will grant you many, many years... and that we'll see lots more of you somehow!

Once we left church, we did a bit more move business before going over to Father Andrew's house for a delicious homey dinner and plenty of wine and laughter. All told, it was a very emotional and very special day. These are the moments I treasure in my heart and hope to always remember. We've been very blessed until now, and it is exciting to think that we will be blessed in new ways in a new place.

Still... there is so much to do.

...I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Welcome to the right coast, big sis!

Nikki said...

Thanks lil sis! (And I apologize for the delay... I am only just now getting to reply to comments left for me.)

N