Monday, August 25, 2008

Desayuno Chapin y Cumpleaños Felices

I plan to make a series of posts this week: partly because I am rather unexpectedly in possession of more time than usual for blogging and the like, and partly because this last week has been incredibly full. To recap in brief, Steve, Jayne, Thomas and Paul (Daniel's oldest brother and family) came to visit for much of the week. That was a wonderful time, and I promise to cover it in more detail in future posts. However, I plan to work backwards a bit, starting with some of the most recent events.

This weekend, Erik and Robyn came over to observe two birthdays: Daniel's 39th on Friday and Erik's 32nd, which is today. One feature of the weekend was Guatemalan breakfast. Daniel called Guatemala home for 14 years, and so when we managed to find a Guatemalan brand (Ducal) of refried black beans (volteados) in a local store here, he bought them and introduced me to the wonder that is Guatemalan breakfast. I think it will become a favorite at our house. Our version featured volteados, tortillas de mais (corn), chirmol (a sort of roasted salsa that Dan made from scratch), queso (Mexican cheese, in this case, because Guatemalan cheese still evades us), huevos con cebolla (eggs with onion), Crema Guatemalteca (a mixture of sour cream, cream cheese and heavy cream), fruit and coffee. We would have added fried ripe platano (plantains) had we remembered to buy them.
As for the title of the post, Guatemalans refer to themselves as "chapin" and "desayuno" is, as you have probably guessed, breakfast. The second half of the title, of course, refers to happy birthdays, and so, with that, I proceed to part two of the post.

Robyn and I made birthday cakes this weekend. It was a collaborative effort in the kitchen, but I did most of Daniel's cake, and Robyn did most of Erik's. I, at least, had a lot of fun working on them.

Daniel's cake was a "giant ding dong", complete with devils food cake, cream filling and a chocolate glaze. I prefer, however, to think of it as a giant hockey puck. This puck featured something like the emblem of the team that still, in his heart of hearts, has the most pull for Daniel. I got the team emblem close enough that Dan said he recognized it immediately, which was all I aspired to, given that I was decorating free-hand. However, to Dan's great feigned sorrow, I was unable to put the official NHL logo on the underside of the cake. I'm just not that good.

Erik's cake was vanilla with a sort of chocolate chip crust on the bottom and whipped cream frosting and filling. It was very light and tasty (not death-by-sugar like the puck) and was decorated with the brightly-colored emblem of his favorite Swedish fotboll (soccer!) club: Djurgårdens I. F.; where the D. I. F. would ordinarily have been on the crest, Robyn put his name.
On Sunday, we each had a small slice of each cake, offset in part by some cheese and crackers. Robyn and Erik then returned home and Dan and I collapsed into a sugar coma for a couple of hours. It was a fitting end to a very long week.
So, allow me to end with wishes for a very happy birthday to my beloved husband Daniel, to our good friend Erik, and a very happy belated birthday to our darling niece, Talia, who celebrated her first birthday last weekend. I would invite you to visit her family blog for photos of that joyous event, which we, sadly, could not celebrate in person.

Many years!

7 comments:

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

Happy birthday, Daniel!

Nikki, great job on the cakes! They looked wonderful and sounded delicious. Where did you get the recipe for the cream filling?

I made my first layered cake for Talia's birthday (Mom helped). It was an adventure and I learned some things (like make sure the rack is not tipped to avoid a wedge shaped cake).

Nikki said...

Hi Erin,

I "googled" the words "giant ding dong cake" and found that several people have pretty much the same recipe. The cream filling is really tasty and exceptionally bad for you. I think that having it once a year at birthday time isn't so bad, though. :)

This was probably not my first layered cake, but it was the first that turned out well. I learned a few things myself. I lined the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and the cake came right out with minimal crumbs. I cooked it all in one layer and cut the single layer in half after the cake had cooled overnight. I put the resulting cake upside down on the plate, which meant a nice flat top to the cake... ideal for hockey pucks. ;)

The best part was the decorating part. I had fun with that... even if I did accidentally fling bright blue frosting all over the kitchen cabinets and floor and my foot and pants (long story). Robyn was very kind to me and cleaned most of it up!

L.L. Barkat said...

Ooooo... that breakfast looks really good. : )

Grumpy Old Man said...

Jazz beard again? Can't keep up with it.

Susan in PA said...

Maria's 22nd birthday is tomorrow. She was blessed in church this past Sunday.

Given that the girls work part-time at a local stable, Bob now drives bus for the local paratransit system, and I had cataract surgery on Thursday, Maria asked for just a Pepperidge Farm coconut layer cake from the store.

Anne will probably decorate it with more than candles, anyway. :)

Go read your email. I can see the choir music (and this ornery computer screen) without glasses on my right eye. Pray for what's coming up on the left eye. And for Maria and Rachel to find the right full-time jobs and/or school.

And happy birthday to Dan, mnogaya lyeta, and to that cute niece of yours. God grant her even more years!

Anonymous said...

Ah, reminiscent of your food blog!

Lovely celebrations. Glad you had fun.

Angie said...

Looks like your cakes are well done for the home baker. Just think, you could have paid someone to do a worse job for you! You might find http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/ interesting!