Friday, June 20, 2008

The Great Outdoors

I spent a good hour this morning thrilling at the sight and sound of a red-shouldered hawk that chose our backyard as its hangout this morning. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get very good pictures, because when I went outside (I was sneaky and went out the front door and around), it moved on. I can still hear its call, but it is no longer right outside my window. Here are the photos I did manage through the windows and the foliage.
Here is a link to the call that I listened to (click on the link to play the sound from this species), and which helped me settle on its identity as a Red-shouldered hawk over the other options. I have spent some time playing the recorded call and listening to the hawk outside reply. They've been talking for a while now. Simple things really entertain me.

Since we moved here, I have had quite a lot of fun trying to identify the birds, arachnids, insects and animals I encounter. For one thing, there are more of them. For another, I enjoy a challenge, and when discovering which beetle I have spotted out on a trail takes me through about 200 pages of photos, each with about 5 types of beetles, I gain a new appreciation for the richness and diversity of living things... though I sometimes think I could do without the thought that there are thousands of types of beetles.

I'm much more aware here of the passage of time and the seasonal changes. Just a few weeks ago the leafy vines that hide the house behind ours from view were light green and immature and only created a sort of screen. Now they are full and form a lush green curtain. Everything is green (with the exception of what passes for our lawn), despite the moderate drought. Ferns have swarmed the creek bed, stretching feathery tendrils down to toy with the minnows and tadpoles.

Yes... I must say that summer has its charms. We went walking through town two nights ago when the temperatures had cooled and our feet ached to explore. Getting out of the house seems like an imperative now that we both spend so much time here. We walked past the library and into a new neighborhood, and we each picked a wild blackberry from vines just off the road.

Last night I awoke to the rumble of distant thunder, and dozed off and on as the rains bathed our house. Our apple tree has one fruit left trying to make it to maturity. Our tomato vines are starting to bear a few small, green fruit. Daniel has taken to tinkering in the "back 40". Vibrant red cardinals flit from branch to branch. The hibiscus are in bloom. We could ask for somewhat more (a job for Dan, for instance), but there is quite a lot to quietly (or not so quietly -- hawk calls can be rather noisy) enjoy in the meantime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You paint lovely word pictures and make your world sound fascinating. We have a few tomatoes now too.

Nice hawk. Nice of him to visit.

Angie said...

I appreciate trees and bushes so much more now that I experience seasons. We get lots of birds that I had never seen before, but I haven't taken the time to identify most of them. I can usually recognize a robin when I see it, though ;). My exploration into species has been aquatic of late. Soon I'll post a picture of my new tank. It's set up and just getting through some cycling to prepare for more fishies.

L.L. Barkat said...

Yes, these simple things soothe, minister, heal. I love such things. I really do.