Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Conversations

Daniel: One thing
I just heard a bit of wisdom
sounds like A---'s wife just hit a deer

NIKKI:
oooh
oh no

Daniel:
the advice B--- gave is
don't wash the blood off the car
that way you can prove to the insurance co. that it was a deer

NIKKI:
lol
okay

Daniel: Apparently the deer hit the windshield, and now there's glass in the backseat

NIKKI:
I would be most upset about the deer

Daniel: bizarre. She hit the deer in mid-leap
she was in an SUV, and the deer hit the windshield and roof

NIKKI: yikes
I love you.
Please don't hit any deer, dear.

Daniel: fine then.
you always take away all my fun.

NIKKI: I try.
:P

Daniel:
such is your wifely duty.


------------

Daniel and I have a long tradition, stretching back to the first week of our acquaintance -- when I was in Los Angeles and he was almost two hours away -- of communicating during the days or evenings apart via instant messaging programs. I have now-vague memories of joking about tambourines with ribbons and spirited praise songs in the online time spent together between our first meeting and our first date. It's how we got to know each other when the distance and our responsibilities kept us apart. I mean, this was, after all, the relationship that commenced with "May I email you?"

Of course, we know each other pretty well by now, but it still seems perfectly normal to us to exchange laughter, information and even endearments via text on a screen. It gives us no pause. It's just something we do, like reading a book together in the evenings, watching CSI or The Simpsons from the love-seat during dinner, going to lunch together when we worked in the same office, and talking about the big and small wrinkles in our lives before we drift off to sleep.

On Sunday the two of us stood chatting with a bunch of mostly young mothers as their children threw branches at each other on the lawn. Somehow the topic of communicating with spouses during the day came up. Most of these women are stay-at-home moms who use phones to make the occasional call to their office-working husbands. One mentioned the sometimes "I can't talk now" response that greets her spoken "I love you" as one of the hazards of work-day calls. There was some debate whether a typed "I love you", greeted by the same, was inferior when there are phones that can convey the voice in all of its intimacy and reality.

I'm not sure it matters to Dan or to me what is "better." I think what we value is all of the ways we can carry on the constant, though admittedly intermittent, conversation of our lives.

I just finished Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking -- the memoir she wrote in reflection on the year of her life that followed the sudden death of her husband, John Gregory Dunne. As is our custom, I would read passages from the book to Daniel that struck me as I read. In this book, there were quite a lot of things that had that effect. I read the first three chapters while soaking in the bath, and by the time Dan wandered in to check on me or tell me something, my toes were raisins, my eyes were glowing red orbs and my face was damp, ruddy and tear-streaked. He took one look at me, asked what was wrong, and plopped down on the toilet seat to listen.

Such is his husbandly duty.

Perhaps the book resonated with me because, as Dan put it, "Her magical thinking is much like yours. I can see you doing and thinking the same things."

"Read, learn, work it up, go to the literature.
Information is control."

I think he's right, as much I can imagine what I might be like without him. The truth is that neither of us knows what we might be like facing an empty house, clothes without anyone to wear them, half-finished projects and reminders everywhere that we were once not so desperately empty and alone.

I think another reason for that reaction is how much of our own marriage I saw in their relationship as described by Joan. I recognized that constant conversation, which, for them, both writers working at home, happened most often in person:

"I could not count the times during the average day when something would come up that I needed to tell him. This impulse didn't end with his death. What ended was the possibility of response. I read something in the paper I would normally have read to him. I notice some change in the neighborhood that would interest him [...] I recall coming in from Central Park one morning in mid-August with urgent news to report: the deep summer green is already changing.
We need to make a plan for the fall, I remember thinking. We need to decide where we want to be at Thanksgiving, Christmas, the end of the year.
I am dropping my keys on the table inside the door before I fully remember. There is no one to hear this news, nowhere to go with the unmade plan, the uncompleted thought. There is no one to agree, disagree, talk back."

By the grace of God, our conversation continues. Sometimes it is rather mundane and irrelevant.

Daniel:
I see the Britney saga never ends... now a celeb-watch website has posted video of her running a red light with the kids in the car
it's like watching a train wreck, I tell ya

NIKKI: only less entertaining

Daniel: too true

Sometimes it is deep, serious and life-changing.

NIKKI: your vino arrived
all red
2005 Wine Club #4 (34% Cab Franc, 33% Malbec, 33% Pt. Verdot)
2005 Tre Vini (50% Sangiovese, 27% Cab, Sauv., 23% Malbec)
2004 "Reserve" Merlot

Daniel:
awesome!

Sometimes it is humorous, and sometimes it simply displays our insanity - the special sort of insanity that we share.

NIKKI: Mr. Orange-cat just came calling at the front porch

Daniel: fun

NIKKI:
except Monkey growled at orange cat
which made Moomoo mad
because Moomoo didn't see orange cat
so Moomoo got riled and took it out on Monkey
hissing and swatting at him

Daniel:
she's so high strung

NIKKI:
yes
well, it was upsetting
he howled

Daniel:
did she eventually see Mr. Orange?

NIKKI:
nope
I tried to explain, though
lol

Daniel:
Now is when you need an electronically-controlled squirtgun on the porch

NIKKI: lol

Daniel: it'd be like playing Unreal Tournament against a cat

NIKKI: haha

What matters is that the conversation keeps going as long as we are given to carry it on. So, I just keep talking, chatting, calling and loving... whenever I have a moment to do so.

Such is my wifely privilege.

10 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

A very sweet reflection here, and deliciously light-hearted while also laced with the hidden anxieties of potential loss. I liked that memoir quite a bit. It was as if she continued the conversation with him by writing his absent life.

Catherine, detached said...

Ah, very nice to hear that after six years, you two are still communicating up a storm. (Looks like the sweetness is still plentiful, too, thank God.) And I always did wonder (but most assuredly wouldn't ask) if you'd kept up the pillow talk once you could actually do it in person. Funny, now that St. Katherine's Day has rolled around to Sunday again ... neither of us will be celebrating it in San Juan Capistrano.

Anonymous said...

I like this post! I have heard marriage described as a continuing conversation.

Jon, Erin, and Talia said...

I think technology plays an important role in many relationships of our generation.
Our excuse to communicate was e-mail. Jon set up my Juno account and gave me his number so that I could call him and report on the success of the installation. Jon's cousin is dating her boyfriend via text messages. Technology was a huge part of our courtship and indeed it continues. Now, like your author, we get to communicate in person 6 days a week! May we both continue our married conversations for decades to come!

Nikki said...

L.L. - Thank you for your encouraging comments. I also had the feeling that that the conversation was continuing... with the reader as proxy. The book will take a place alongside Without (Donald Hall), A Grief Obesrved (Lewis) and A Severe Mercy (Vanauken) in my favorites on the theme of loss because each manages to capture grief and the bereaved's struggle with it in a very truthful way, whether the paradigms of the various authors leave them with anything like hope, faith or a sense of purpose in the end.

Nikki said...

Catherine--
Yes, we are still talking. Perish the thought that we will ever stop.

Ah yes, you remind me that the day Dan and I met approaches. We will be in Charleston visiting friends that morning, so I am not sure if we will be in church, but we will certainly hold the day sacred for more reasons than one. Perhaps you will be kind enough to light a candle on my behalf. Many years to you on your patronal!

Nikki said...

Talia's grandma --
:D I've also heard it described as many less flattering things. Hopefully all of us manage to infuse our marriages with more of the good stuff.

Aside, I wonder what you will change your blogger ID to say when you have grandchild #2. No, that's not an announcement. :P

Nikki said...

Erin --
Yes, we are a rather technology-driven bunch. The next generations are even moreso. After dinner last night, I sat across the table from an 11-year-old who was text-messaging her BFFs from her cell phone. I could never have imagined doing that when I was 11!

I'm glad Jon's work situation is having that sort of effect on your family. It's a blessing that Jon is able to actually do his work *and* be there for your important moments. Love you. :)

Jon, Erin, Talia, and Elliana said...

She can say Talia and ______'s grandma. I doubt she will have to worry about length as Talia's other grandma does (Elliot, Sophia, Emmae, Nathanael, Cambria, Will, Luke, Timothy, Matheson, and Talia's grandma). Or she could stick with Prodigy Progenitor in anticipation of all future grandchildren.

Nikki said...

Erin,

Haha. I like your solution.

N