Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Change is good.

My supervisor at work has a pretty simple philosophy about change: "Change is good." "Embrace change." To be fair, I embraced a change he wasn't terribly excited about (namely moving to NC), but whenever I am asked to step out of my usual way of doing things at work and accept that things not only can but probably should be done differently, I hear the same things come out of his mouth: "I love change." "Change is great!" For my part, I usually say something like, "Yes, and I am trying to be open to it. I believe you, it will just take me a while to adjust."

This weekend was busy in a fun sort of way, but it also represented some change.

Dan and I got considerably more of the house sorted, and we had some good heart-to-heart talks. But it wasn't all work. We also went shopping. (Okay, so Dan will tell you that shopping is drudgery, but he's misguided--I am convinced of that.) In fact, we bought ourselves early anniversary gifts.

Given our one-car status and the lack of effective public transit in this area, I've had at least two friends suggest that I get a motor scooter of some stripe, but I am afraid that's not in the budget right about now. We could, however, justify the purchase of good old fashioned muscle-propelled bikes. Dan had been wanting one himself, since riding a bike is the sort of fitness-inducing activity he enjoys. I gave it some thought and decided that the utility of a bike had its charms, so we decided we would each look for one.

I confess that I was rather scared when I walked into the bike shop. I can't remember the last time I rode a bike, but strangely enough I remembered all too well the many spills I took on bikes as a kid, including the time I ran smack into the back of Mr. Perry's old pick-up truck. Brake failure? Misjudged distance? I don't remember how it happened; I only know that it did and that blood and scars ensued. I found myself nervously joking about banana seats with the salesman, before settling on a "starter" mountain-ish bike to try. He offered me a helmet and the chance to ride the bike around the parking lot.

At that point I felt I had a serious choice to make: take a chance on falling and looking like an idiot, refuse the test-ride and get to the relative safety of our driveway before attempting to ride, or just conclude that the bike thing wasn't for me after all. Perhaps the deciding factor was my equally vivid recollection of the burn in my legs and the sweat-bath I endured walking to the post office in 90 degrees of heat and 60% humidity. A bike equaled some relief from that, and even the prospect of falling down in the parking lot wasn't enough to match my desire to have another option. So, I hopped on the narrow seat and wobbled back and forth a bit as I made those first uneven turns of the pedals.

I was gripping the handlebars for dear life and my heart was racing, but before I knew it I felt the warm wind on my face and realized that I had done it! I made a few lazy circles, occasionally daring to pedal a little bit more quickly, and then, with a bit of a smile, I headed back to the shop. Dan had been watching from a bench, his bike selected and going through its "tune-up," and he greeted me with a smile and a question about how well I liked the bike. You know... I think I liked it. I felt distinct relief when I had both feet on solid ground again, but I also had the feeling that somehow this whole bike business would be okay.

We're still collecting all of the various things we need to keep the bikes road-worthy and ourselves intact (helmets, pumps, water bottles, gauges...), but we took the bikes out for a little ride in the neighborhood last night after dinner and an episode of CSI. I discovered that biking is work as soon as there is a bit of an incline, and Dan had to slow up for me a couple of times... but I made it home again with another very tangible sense of accomplishment.

The move has brought several challenges, and I seem to be pleasantly surprised when I have what it takes to meet them. So, to echo the sentiment I hear so often at work. Change is good. Change is great. I love change. Well, anyway, I'm embracing it as best I can!

3 comments:

Catherine, detached said...

I think one thing that makes change easier sometimes is when you're lucky enough to suddenly see the situation through someone else's eyes ... when you discover that what seemed to you to be a loss appears to others to be opportunity for everybody concerned ... and suddenly BAM! you do a mental and emotional 180 turn and feel wonderful. It's also great to discover that you have experiences in your past that help you to grasp the opportunity (such as your body remembering how to ride a bicycle). I really understand what you're saying, Nikki. Of course the trick is keeping oneself open to this kind of change of thinking! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Cathrine. Also, don't you LOVE CSI!?

Nikki said...

Thanks for the thoughts... I am inclined to agree, too.

And, yes... I totally love CSI. Even Miami has grown on me. :D